It’s been another exciting week at Coastal! First of all, our new semester of LIFE Groups started this week! I’ve heard nothing but GREAT things! Personally, I lead a Wednesday morning Men’s Group, and we had 32 men our first week! It was so great to see everyone and get started again! We have awesome LIFE Group Leaders, and I can’t wait to hear the stories of community, connection, and life change! Many of our Groups are full, but for those that aren’t, it’s still not too late to join. Go to our website and sign up today! We’ve now had over a 1000 signups for LIFE Groups – our largest ever!
And then, of course, we jumped back into our sermon series, “A Revolution of Faith,” on the book of Romans. As a part of this series, we’re emailing out a daily devotional (Monday-Friday) as we make our way through the book of Romans. The Pastors/Staff are writing the devotionals and doing a GREAT job! I hope you’ll include them as a part of your daily devotional life.
Several things have happened recently that have reminded me of the brevity, the mystery, and the purpose of life. First of all, we hosted a funeral at our church last Saturday for a 22 year old young man who died tragically in a motorcycle accident. Funerals are always difficult, but they are especially emotional when it’s for a young adult. Earlier this week an 18 month old little boy from our church had a stroke and has been in MUSC Children’s Hospital. Our church has rallied around this family praying for their little boy. Are you ready for this? On Wednesday night, this little boy literally went from the NICU of the Children’s Hospital, to being SENT HOME! The Doctors were amazed! He’ll be on a journey of tests and therapies, but it is nothing short of a miracle! You can imagine the roller coaster of emotions this family has been on. And then a Pastor friend of mine that I’ve known since I was 13 years old (he was the Dean of the Camp I went to when I got saved) had a stroke last week and now the family has called in Hospice. He’s in his early 80’s and has been the Pastor of his church for almost 55 years, faithfully serving and loving Jesus.
I definitely don’t have easy answers for everything that happens in this world. I don’t understand it all. But I do know this: life, real life, is too short, too fragile, and too precious, not to be grateful for every moment we have and not to have God right at the center of all of it. And somehow, someway, our God, if we allow Him, does have the miraculous ability to weave all of it together – the triumphs and the tragedies, the ups and the down – for our good and His glory. This world is definitely not our home. We are simply passing through. But in the meantime, let’s make the most of every opportunity, let’s live life to the fullest, and let’s love people and point them to Jesus! Hug your family tight today and remind them how much you love them! And speaking of love – I love YOU Coastal! I am humbled that I get to be your Pastor! And until Jesus calls me home or comes again, I am grateful for every second we get to spend together on this side of eternity living for Jesus!
LIFE & LOVE!
- UPCOMING OUTREACH PROJECTS:
Coffee & Doughnuts with the Vets at Patriot Villas: TODAY, Friday, September 22nd, 8:30am-11:30am. Meet at Coastal.
Lowcountry Orphan Relief: Lowcountry Orphan Relief provides support services and aid to meet the needs of Lowcountry children identified as at-risk or suffering from abandonment, abuse and/or neglect. Coastal will be serving there TODAY, Friday, September 22nd, 9:30am-11:30am. Meet at 1850 Truxton Ave in North Charleston.
Food Pantry Sort & Stock: Coastal feeds an enormous amount of people. Come to the church and help keep our Food Pantry organized (and have a lot of fun while you’re at it)! Thursday, September 28th, 11:30am-1pm.
Downtown Charleston “Hotdog Ministry”: We will be grilling and serving hotdogs to the homeless and hungry downtown! Friday, September 22nd and 29th, 4-6pm. Meet at Coastal.
Oakland Reading Partners Orientation: We’re looking for volunteers to be a part of a Reading Program at Oakland Elementary School. Orientation and Training Meeting, Wednesday, October 4th, 1-2:30pm (see #3 below).
Clothing Team: Our Coastal Clothing Team will be organizing and sorting clothes, Friday, October 6th, 9:30am-11:30am. Meet at 2952 Old Pond Road on Johns Island.
Saturday Serve: The foundation of all of our serving opportunities at Coastal really starts with Saturday Serve – the first Saturday of every month. The next Saturday Serve is Saturday, October 7th. We meet in the Welcome Center/Cafe at 8:30am, project leaders make a “pitch” for their serving opportunity, and then we serve!
Clothing Team: Our Coastal Clothing Team will be organizing and sorting clothes, Monday, October 9th, 9:30am-11:30am. Meet at 2952 Old Pond Road on Johns Island.
Soldier’s Angels: We’ll be helping with the Veteran’s Mobile Food Distribution, Tuesday, October 10th, 9:30am-11:30am. Meet at 1113 Sam Rittenburg Blvd. (The Elks Lodge).
Ronald McDonald House On the Go Meal Kits: On Friday, October 13th, 6:30-7:30pm, we will be packing “On the Go Meal/Snack Bags” for the resident of the Ronald McDonald House. Meet at Coastal.
As always, if you are interested in serving in any of these projects, you can sign up on your Connect Card this Sunday or sign up now on our website. If you have any questions, please reach out to Pastor Chris Jones at 843-870-4613.
- If you’re fairly new to Coastal, a great next step is our Newcomers Reception. Our next Newcomers Reception is Sunday, October 8th, in our Chapel immediately following the 11:30am service (at approximately 12:45pm). This is a great way to learn more about Coastal, meet staff and key volunteers, as well as meet some other new people. Pizza and childcare provided. You can sign up on our website today!
- Looking for an exciting and rewarding opportunity to make a real IMPACT in the next generation right here in our community? Join the Oakland Elementary School Reading Partners Team! As a Reading Partners Volunteer at Oakland Elementary School, you’ll work closely with a K-5th Grade Student who is struggling with reading. You’ll help provide one-on-one tutoring and support through structured lessons and engaging activities – all of which is provided through Reading Partners. If you are interested, RSVP on your Connect Card for the Orientation & Training Event at Coastal on Wednesday, October 4th, 1-2:30pm.
- Coastal Young Adult ministry is having its first monthly worship night on Wednesday, October 4th at 7:00pm in the Chapel! This event, being called “The Way,” is for anyone from college age to early 30’s to attend. There will be worship, message, discussion, & community!
- Interested in officially making the Coastal church family, your church family? Our next Membership Class is Thursday, October 19th, 6-9pm in the Chapel. You can respond to this email, sign up on our website, or sign up on your Connect Card on Sunday. Dinner & childcare provided!
P.S. Join us for Chair Set-Up THIS Saturday, September 23rd at 8am. With 10 or more people it takes less than 30 minutes. I hope you’ll join us!