This Sunday, July 23rd, I’ll be kicking off another favorite Summer Sermon Series tradition here at Coastal –“Summer Reading”! “Summer Reading” is where we pick a group of books for you to read over the Summer, and then the subject matter of each of those books becomes the sermon topic for that particular Sunday. Now before some of you freak out, thinking that I’ve gone heretical, thrown out the Bible, and I’m now preaching from other books instead of the Bible, throw away your email and simmer down. That’s not what we’re doing. We’re not preaching from the books themselves. If anything, I think you’ll discover that during this series you will find yourself compelled to go to scripture as we point people to the truth of His Word and a deeper relationship with God.
Here is the Book List and the order in which we will be using them:
Created to Dream by Rick Warren
Out of the Cave by Chris Hodges
The Problem of Jesus by Mark Clark
Don’t Hold Back by David Platt
Please Sorry Thanks by Mark Batterson
The Bible Made Easy for Kids by Dave Strehler
Jesus Loves Me by John Dickerson
So, I hope you’ll pick up one or two or all of them and read them over the Summer. After all: Leaders are what? Readers! Retired Admiral James Stavridis of the US Navy once said this, “The single best way a leader can learn and grow is through reading. So many of our best leaders develop and enhance their ability to lead through endless contact with books.”
One last thing, please keep our Peru Missions Team (25 people) in your prayers! They leave tomorrow and will return next Saturday, July 29th. Pray for them and the people of Peru they will be serving. I love you Coastal, I love being your Pastor, and I love what we get to do together! See you Sunday!
LIFE & LOVE!
- UPCOMING OUTREACH PROJECTS:
VA Hospitality Project: This team serves at the VA Hospital in Charleston by providing a hospitality cart, greeting incoming patients and employees, visiting patients, and helping Volunteer Services with small sorting projects. Wednesday, July 26th, 8:30am-12pm. Meet at Coastal.
Food Pantry Sort & Stock – Thursday, July 27th, 11:30am-1pm. As you know, our church feeds A LOT of people! Come help us prep Coastal’s Food Pantry!
Coffee & Doughnuts with the Vets at Patriot Villas – Friday, July 28th, 8:30am-11:30am. Meet at Coastal.
Lowcountry Orphan Relief: Lowcountry Orphan Relief provides support services and aid to meet the needs of Lowcountry children identified as at-risk or suffering from abandonment, abuse and/or neglect. Coastal will be serving there Friday, July 28th, 9:30am-11:30am. Meet at 1850 Truxton Ave in North Charleston.
Downtown Charleston “Hotdog Ministry”: We will be grilling and serving hotdogs to the homeless and hungry downtown! Friday, July 28th, 4-6pm. Meet at Coastal.
Clothing Team: Our Coastal Clothing Team will be organizing and sorting clothes, Friday, August 4th, 9:30am-11:30am. Meet at 2952 Old Pond Road on Johns Island.
Saturday Serve – The foundation of all of our serving opportunities at Coastal really starts with Saturday Serve – the first Saturday of every month. The next Saturday Serve is Saturday, August 5th. We meet in the Welcome Center/Cafe at 8:30am, project leaders make a “pitch” for their serving opportunity, and then we serve!
As always, if you are interested in serving in any of these projects, you can sign up on your Connect Card this Sunday or sign up now on our website. If you have any questions, please reach out to Pastor Chris Jones at 843-870-4613.
- Coastal Student Ministry – Attention all Parents of a rising 6th grader: Tonight, July 21, 7-8:15pm, there will be a parent meeting in the Chapel. Pastor Jacob will provide food and the meeting will detail the mission of Coastal Student Ministry and cover what a typical night at CSM looks like! This meeting is important because you will not only learn “what” Coastal Student Ministry does, but you will learn the “why” behind everything your student will experience! If you and your student plan to attend, RSVP by emailing Pastor Jacob at email@example.com.
One more thing! Pastor Jacob is always looking for adults who want to invest in students either through leading biblical discussions in small groups or by something as simple as welcoming students to their Sunday evening gatherings! If you’re not currently serving in student ministry in some way, would you prayerfully consider this possibility? It’s a tremendous way to make a difference and you will most definitely be blessed by joining our awesome CSM volunteer team! If you’re interested at all, you can check the “Student Ministry” box on your Connect Card on Sunday morning or you can email Pastor Jacob at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Interested in officially making the Coastal church family, your church family? Our next Membership Class is Saturday morning, August 19th, 9am-11:45am in the Chapel. You can respond to this email, sign up on our website, or sign up on your Connect Card on Sunday. Dinner & childcare provided!
- The whole church is invited to a Special Worship Service! On Sunday night, July 30th, at 6pm, we are having an Ordination Service to ordain Jacob Bonetti into full time Christian Ministry as a Pastor. Jacob has been our Youth Pastor here at Coastal for over a year now and has done an excellent job. God’s call on his life is evident and obvious to all, and it’s time to officially recognize it. We’d also encourage you to bring him a card with a handwritten note of encouragement. There will be a table for cards & any gifts (not required). Childcare (Nursery & Preschool) will be provided during the service. There will be a brief reception immediately following the service. Please respond to this email or let us know on your Connect Card if you plan on attending (so we can plan on food) and let us know if you need childcare (how many children).
- We are in the FINAL planning stages for our FALL LIFE GROUPS! LIFE Groups are the primary vehicle at Coastal for community – learning, friendships, fellowship, and care. We typically have all different types of Groups – Bible studies, book studies, activity groups, active groups, support groups, men’s/women’s groups. Would you possibly be interested in leading, assisting, or hosting a LIFE Group this Fall? The Fall Semester begins in September and depending on the Group, lasts for 8-12 weeks. Sign up on your Connect Card or contact Pastor Scott Huff at email@example.com if you are interested in leading a Group.
Training for new Fall Life Group Leaders will be offered in-person on Monday, August 21st, 6:30-8pm or Saturday, August 26th, 9-10:30am. Returning Leaders’ Training will be online on Thursday, August 24th from 8-8:45pm. All Leaders only need to attend one session. RSVP on your Connect Card.
P.S. We are planning our 2nd BEACH BAPTISM of the Summer out at Folly Beach County Park on Sunday, August 20th, at 5pm. You can sign up for it on our website. The only requirement for Baptism is that you have personally given your life to Jesus. Baptism is a public profession of your faith, and it’s a great celebration! It beautifully illustrates Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. If you’re unable to participate in our Beach Baptism, remember at Coastal we’re ready for you to get Baptized any service, any Sunday. If you are interested in getting Baptized, simply respond to this email, sign up on your Connect Card, or sign up on our website.