The reports coming from our Peru Missions Team have been so exciting! They’ve been building homes, passing out Bibles and blankets, feeding people, and sharing the Good News of the Gospel. They’ve seen joy in the midst of unspeakable poverty, and they’ve had experiences and made friends that will last a lifetime and beyond! And if you’re receiving this email, more than likely, you’ve been a part of it all and helped make this trip possible! How you ask? Through your generous & consistent giving! In the months ahead we’ll be praying about how to strengthen our relationship with the Mission in Peru. And yes, we’ll definitely be going back, as we continue to share and experience the LIFE and LOVE of Jesus with Charleston and the world! Our Team will be returning on Saturday (tomorrow). Please keep their safe return in your prayers. Like you, I can’t wait to see them and hug their necks on Sunday! And I can’t wait to send more people back to Peru and other places around the world! Pray about personally joining us on our next trip!
While they’ve been in Peru, I’ve been in Washington, DC this week for my Pastor’s Coaching meeting. I’ve only been to DC once in my life (about 30 years ago), but really didn’t get to see much. On this trip I got the chance to see the Museum of the Bible, the National Mall, the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, the Vietnam Memorial, the Korean War Memorial, the WWII Memorial, the MLK Jr. Memorial, and the Smithsonian Museum of American History. It seems like a lot, but it really was just the tip of the iceberg of things to see and experience in Washington, DC.
Probably the most moving place I got to visit was Arlington National Cemetery and the changing of the Guard at the tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Over 400,000 Veterans are buried at Arlington. It was a humbling and sobering experience. It also made me very grateful for all the Veterans we have at Coastal and to be a part of a church that loves and serves the hurting, hungry, and homeless Veterans in our community. I realize that we are facing a lot of problems in our country today and that the divisions seem to be greater and deeper than ever before, but I believe we still have much to be grateful for in our great country. I am so thankful to God for the birth of our Nation and the privilege that was mine to be born here in the land of the free and home of the brave. I will be making my way back home today (Friday). I love you Coastal, I love being your Pastor, and I love what we get to do together right here in our community, our Nation, and all over this world! See you Sunday!
LIFE & LOVE!
- UPCOMING OUTREACH PROJECTS:
Coffee & Doughnuts with the Vets at Patriot Villas – Friday (TODAY), July 28th, 8:30am-11:30am. Meet at Coastal.
Lowcountry Orphan Relief: Lowcountry Orphan Relief provides support services and aid to meet the needs of Lowcountry children identified as at-risk or suffering from abandonment, abuse and/or neglect. Coastal will be serving there Friday (TODAY), July 28th, 9:30am-11:30am. Meet at 1850 Truxton Ave in North Charleston.
Downtown Charleston “Hotdog Ministry”: We will be grilling and serving hotdogs to the homeless and hungry downtown! Friday (TODAY), July 28th, 4-6pm. Meet at Coastal.
Clothing Team: Our Coastal Clothing Team will be organizing and sorting clothes, Friday, August 4th (and Monday, August 7th & Friday, August 11th), 9:30am-11:30am. Meet at 2952 Old Pond Road on Johns Island.
Saturday Serve – The foundation of all of our serving opportunities at Coastal really starts with Saturday Serve – the first Saturday of every month. The next Saturday Serve is Saturday, August 5th. We meet in the Welcome Center/Cafe at 8:30am, project leaders make a “pitch” for their serving opportunity, and then we serve!
Soldier’s Angels: We’ll be helping with the Veteran’s Mobile Food Distribution, Tuesday, August 8th, 8am-1pm. Meet at 1113 Sam Rittenburg Blvd. (The Elks Lodge).
Food Pantry Sort & Stock: We’ll be helping with the Veteran’s Mobile Food Distribution, Thursday, August 10th, 11:30am-1pm. Coastal feeds an enormous amount of people. Come to the church and help keep our Food Pantry organized (and have a lot of fun while you’re at it)!
Coffee & Doughnuts with the Vets at Patriot Villas – Friday, August 11th, 8:30am-11:30am. Meet at Coastal.
Lowcountry Orphan Relief: Lowcountry Orphan Relief provides support services and aid to meet the needs of Lowcountry children identified as at-risk or suffering from abandonment, abuse and/or neglect. Coastal will be serving there Friday, August 11th, 9:30am-11:30am. Meet at 1850 Truxton Ave in North Charleston.
Double Tailgate Day: Charleston Vets & Joseph Floyd Manor: Saturday, August 12th, 10am-1pm. Meet at the church and then pick which Tailgate you’d like to serve.
As always, if you are interested in serving in any of these projects, you can sign up on your Connect Card this Sunday or sign up now on our website. If you have any questions, please reach out to Pastor Chris Jones at 843-870-4613.
- If you’re fairly new to Coastal, a great next step is our Newcomers Reception. Our next Newcomers Reception is Sunday, August 27th, in our Chapel immediately following the 11:30am service (at approximately 12:45pm). This is a great way to learn more about Coastal, meet staff and key volunteers, as well as meet some other new people. Pizza and childcare provided. You can sign up on our website today!
- Interested in officially making the Coastal church family, your church family? Our next Membership Class is Saturday morning, August 19th, 9am-11:45am in the Chapel. You can respond to this email, sign up on our website, or sign up on your Connect Card on Sunday. Dinner & childcare provided!
- The whole church is invited to a Special Worship Service! This Sunday night, July 30th, at 6pm, we are having an Ordination Service to ordain Jacob Bonetti into full time Christian Ministry as a Pastor. Jacob has been our Youth Pastor here at Coastal for over a year now and has done an excellent job. God’s call on his life is evident and obvious to all, and it’s time to officially recognize it. We’d also encourage you to bring him a card with a handwritten note of encouragement. There will be a table for cards & any gifts (not required). Childcare (Nursery & Preschool) will be provided during the service. There will be a brief reception immediately following the service. Please respond to this email if you plan on attending (so we can plan on food) and let us know if you need childcare (how many children).
- We are in the FINAL planning stages for our FALL LIFE GROUPS! If you are Leading a LIFE Group this semester, please turn in all your Group information to Pastor Scott Huff at email@example.com week.
Training for new Fall Life Group Leaders will be offered in-person on Monday, August 21st, 6:30-8pm or Saturday, August 26th, 9-10:30am. Returning Leaders’ Training will be online on Thursday, August 24th from 8-8:45pm. All Leaders only need to attend one session. RSVP on your Connect Card.
P.S. We are planning our 2nd BEACH BAPTISM of the Summer out at Folly Beach County Park on Sunday, August 20th, at 5pm. You can sign up for it on our website. The only requirement for Baptism is that you have personally given your life to Jesus. Baptism is a public profession of your faith, and it’s a great celebration! It beautifully illustrates Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. If you’re unable to participate in our Beach Baptism, remember at Coastal we’re ready for you to get Baptized any service, any Sunday. If you are interested in getting Baptized, simply respond to this email, sign up on your Connect Card, or sign up on our website.