For the last several weeks, we’ve been talking about our “Big Day” this Sunday, October 1st – the kick-off of “After God’s Heart.” I want to explain what a “Big Day” is and share with you what you can do to help make it a success.
Obviously, every Sunday is big here at Coastal in the sense that every Sunday is important, every Sunday we share the Gospel, and each week we encourage you to invite and bring your friends. But a “Big Day” is a strategic day on our church calendar where we tell everyone to pull out all the stops, do whatever it takes, and make that extra push to get your friends to church! Usually on a “Big Day” we try to break the next attendance barrier and gain momentum for continued growth – basically kick Satan in the teeth!
There are several obvious “Big Days” on the calendar – Christmas Eve & Easter come to mind. We usually put a “Big Day” somewhere in early February. The holidays are over and it’s a great push for the New Year. Mother’s Day is always a huge day for us. Lately kicking off the Summer with “At the Movies” has been huge too. The Fall “Big Day” works because Summer is finally over, kids are back in school, Labor Day has come and gone, and the football season has started. What does all that have to do with getting people in church? One word – routine. People are back into a routine and they aren’t traveling as much.
So, this Sunday, we are kicking off a brand new series called, “After God’s Heart.” It’s all about the life of David and having a heart for God. The good thing about this series is that even your friends who have never been to church in their life have heard something about the life of David (Goliath, Bathsheba, for example). To kick off the series, we’re also having a big Tailgating Party (wear your favorite Team Colors/Jersey) outside on our campus after both services complete with Food, Jump Castles, and Kona Ice – all FREE!
So what can you do to help make this Sunday a success?
- Pray! Pray for the people you are inviting. Pray for all the people our church will be inviting – the large postcards that hit West Ashley this week. Pray for people to come to know Jesus. Pray for me & my messages. Pray for our staff. Pray for our volunteers. Beg God to draw people to Himself through our church.
- Invite! Make it a personal goal to invite and bring so many people. Send emails. Send personal messages on facebook and other social media. Share my Facebook post. Use the invite cards we’ve been handing out.
- Welcome! Go out of you way to speak to & welcome all of our guests (or anyone you don’t know). Help us treat everyone as our welcome, expected guests in our home. Remember, guests are GIFTS from God! Help us treat everyone that way!
- Consider serving! A new series & new people means we need more and more volunteers. If you’re not already serving somewhere, it’s time to start! Our 1st Impressions Team is a great place to get started. Give Chris Ranew our 1st Impressions LIFE Team Leader a call or send him an email – 706-941-2044, email@example.com. Our Children’s Ministry is also a great place to serve on Sunday morning. Call Janet, our Children’s Ministry Leader or send her an email – 843-442-8299, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Give. Special Days incur special expenses. Even though there will be a lot going on after each service, come prepared to give generously. Or better yet, you can give any time using any of the different ways we have to give at Coastal – our website, texting (843-277-8337), or our app.
- 4 More Things to Consider on the day of the “Big Day” itself. Parking: the further away you park, the better. Please park at Oakland and save the closer parking for guests. Service times: the key is come to the service that your guests are coming to. BUT THIS IS IMPORTANT, come early! Everything goes smoother (Child Check-In, coffee, getting a seat, helping our guests) when you come a little earlier. Seating: no matter which service you come to, PLEASE sit to the front and center of each section. This makes more room for people as they come in. And finally, everyone PLEASE FILL OUT A CONNECT CARD!
Whew! I think that’s about it! Sunday is going to be AWESOME! Most importantly, people are going to come to Jesus! Like I’ve said Coastal, let’s pray and beg God like it all depended on Him. But then let’s work, invite, and share like it all depends on us. Then let’s walk by faith and trust God with the results!
See You & Your Friends Sunday!
P.S. We’re also setting up our Portable Baptistry for Baptisms outside on Sunday! If you are interested in going public with your faith and getting Baptized, please respond to this email and let us know! It’s going to be a great celebration!