Our new series, “The Power of Words” really struck a chord this past Sunday! In fact, over 60 people signed up for the “30 Day No-Cursing Challenge.” I got an email from a business owner at our church who shared our challenge with his staff. The response he got was amazing. In fact, here was one response, “I will accept as well. I admit I struggle with this at times. It’s easy to fall into the trap because we are surrounded by this everyday with the industry we work in. That shouldn’t be an excuse. Thanks for sharing.” Wow! If you missed the message, you can listen to it online or you can download our App and listen to it on your smart phone. This Sunday, I’m going to be talking about when we have to use our words to confront someone else.
I’ve got some exciting personal news to share with you. Many of you are already aware of this, but I wanted to let the whole church know so you could pray for us. This coming Monday, Janet and I hop on a plane and head out to Los Angeles to see our daughter Lydia! We’ll be gone for over a week. We’ll be there for Lydia’s 25th Birthay! To say that we’re excited is quite the understatement. Please keep us in your prayers.
You may be wondering, “Who’s going to preach while you’re away?” Well, I will only miss one Sunday – May 1st – and Galen Moyer will be preaching for me. Coastal just happens to be blessed with several people who used to be Pastors. Galen is one of those guys. Currently, Galen works for a local Hospice company here in Charleston. Galen and his wife Perry lead a LIFE Group and serve in our Cafe. Don’t stay away on May 1st just because I’m not there. In fact, make sure you come to support and encourage Galen. I honestly wish I was there to hear him. He’ll be speaking on using our words to express gratitude.
I can’t wait for this Sunday! Right now it looks like we’re baptizing around 7 people (maybe more)! Don’t miss it! The Bible says that when one person comes to faith all of Heaven throws a BIG PARTY! Come ready to celebrate this Sunday! If you are interested in getting baptized, please let us know by simply responding to this email. If you are getting baptized, make sure you invite friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers! Your baptism is a great way to reach out to others!
- We’re setting our chairs back up in the “worshi-gym-autorium” on Saturday’s (tomorrow) at 9am. We could definitely use volunteers to help. If you are interested in being part of a “chair ministry”, please respond to this email. It’s a great way to get some exercise and serve our church all at the same time!
- Want to formalize your commitment to Coastal? Want officially make Coastal your church family? Our next Membership Class is Saturday, May 7th, 9am-Noon. Childcare & light refreshments provided. Sign up on your Connect Card or online.
- Mother’s Day is just around the corner – Sunday, May 8th! It’s been our tradition to have a Baby/Child Dedication on Mother’s Day. If you are interested in participating, please let us know. You can respond to this email or sign up on your Connect Card.
- If you have not yet turned in any money for a deposit for Student LIFE Camp (June 13-17) for your Student (6th-12th Grade), please see Ryan and do so soon. Our Students are planning 2 Fundraisers. The first one is “Zumba Loves WAVES!” Prisca Denton (who I like to call the Queen of Zumba) has graciously volunteered to host a Zumba event in our gym on Sunday, May 22nd, 2:30-3:30pm. The event itself is free, but a $5 minimum donation is appreciated and people are encouraged to give more. Spread the word! The second event is a Charleston Riverdogs Game on Saturday night, June 4th, 6:30pm. Tickets are $12 and $5 of that cost will go directly to each student as they sell tickets. It’s usually a great Church-wide event. As soon as we get the tickets, our Students will be selling them.
- We are in the process of planning out our short Summer Semester (5 weeks) of LIFE Groups. If you are interested in leading, assisting, or hosting, or if you have a great idea for a Summer Group, please contact us now. Simply respond to this email, talk to me (Pastor Chris), or see Julie.
P.S. Give TEXT Giving a try! It’s safe, secure, and simple! Text any amout to 843-277-8337 and after a 1 step, 1 time sign up process, you are done. You can then give any amount, any time, from any where. Give it a try today! In fact, if you want to give toward a Student going to Summer Camp, you can text the amount, space, and then the word “Camp” and that money will be designated toward Camp.