For the last several weeks, we’ve been talking about our “Big Day” this Sunday, September 18th – the kick-off of “UNSHAKABLE.” I want to explain what a “Big Day” is and share with you what you can do to help make it a success.
Obviously, every Sunday is big here at Coastal in the sense that every Sunday is important, every Sunday we share the Gospel, and each week we encourage you to invite and bring your friends. But a “Big Day” is a strategic day on our church calendar where we tell everyone to pull out all the stops, do whatever it takes, and make that extra push to get your friends to church! Usually on a “Big Day” we try to break the next attendance barrier and gain momentum for continued growth – basically kick Satan in the teeth!
There are several obvious “Big Days” on the calendar – Christmas Eve & Easter come to mind. We usually put a “Big Day” somewhere in early February. The holidays are over and it’s a great push for the New Year. Mother’s Day is always a huge day for us. Lately kicking off the Summer with “At the Movies” has been huge too. The Fall “Big Day” works because Summer is finally over, kids are back in school, Labor Day has come and gone, and the football season has started. What does all that have to do with getting people in church? One word – routine. People are back into a routine and they aren’t traveling as much.
So, this Sunday, we are kicking off a brand new series called, “UNSHAKABLE.” It’s all about standing strong in the storms of life. Each week, just like the “Unshakable” book, we’re going to look at a different “storm” that people face. We really believe that this is going to be a powerful series! To go along with the “storm” theme, we’re going to give away several “storm preparedness buckets” (flashlights, batteries, gloves, etc.) from Home Depot. Plus we’re going to give away 1 small gas generator is each service!
So what can you do to help make this Sunday a success?
- Pray! Pray for the people you are inviting. Pray for all the people our church will be inviting. Pray for people to come to know Jesus. Pray for me & my messages. Pray for our staff. Pray for our volunteers. Beg God to draw people to Himself through our church.
- Invite! Make a personal goal to invite and bring so many people. Use our “Unshakable” book and the large postcard as invite tools. Use our little “You’re Invited” business cards. Send emails. Send personal messages on facebook and other social media.
- Welcome! Go out of you way to speak to & welcome all of our guests (or anyone you don’t know). Help us treat everyone as our welcome, expected guests in our home. Remember, guests are GIFTS from God! Help us treat everyone that way!
- Consider serving! A new series & new people means we need more and more volunteers. If you’re not already serving somewhere, it’s time to start! We need you! Our 1st Impressions Team is a great place to get started. Give Chris Ranew our 1st Impressions LIFE Team Leader a call or send him an email – 706-941-2044, email@example.com. Our Children’s Ministry could definitely use more volunteers in Nursery or in any of their classes. Call Janet, our Children’s Ministry Leader or send her an email – 843-442-8299, firstname.lastname@example.org. Honestly, all of our Ministries need more volunteers! Give Julie a call at the office or respond to this email and we’ll get you connected – 843-571-1777.
- 3 More Things to Consider on the day of the “Big Day” itself – parking, service time, and seating. Parking: the further away you park, the better. Please park at Oakland and save the closer parking for guests. Service times: the key is come to the service that your guests are coming to. BUT THIS IS IMPORTANT, if it does not matter, PLEASE come to the 11:15am service! The 9:30am service is by far the largest service. Seating: no matter which service you come to, PLEASE sit to the front and center of each section. This makes more room for people as they come in. And everyone PLEASE FILL OUT A CONNECT CARD!
Whew! I think that’s about it! Sunday is going to be AWESOME! Most importantly, people are going to come to Jesus! Like I’ve said Coastal, let’s work, invite, and share like it all depends on us. But then let’s pray and ask God like it all depended on Him. And then let’s walk by faith and trust God with the results!
Standing Strong With You!