I know it might seem crazy talking about Christmas in early October, but if you’ve visited any retail stores the last couple of weeks, Christmas displays are already out. Well, one of our favorite missions that we support here at Coastal is Operation Christmas Child (OCC) – sharing the love of Jesus and the Good News of the Gospel through gifts & supplies in a simple shoebox for children in troubled countries/areas all around the world. What we are asking our church (YOU) is to simply pray and ask God how many shoeboxes He wants you to fill, take home the shoeboxes we provide, pack them as a family, and then bring back your completed boxes to the church between now and Sunday, November 12th.
Our kiosk in the Welcome Center will be filled with the remaining shoeboxes ready to take home each Sunday (until they’re gone). There will be an insert in the bulletin this Sunday with suggested items to fill the box. This would be a GREAT opportunity for you to teach your children about generosity, the true meaning of Christmas, and the love of Jesus. Help us reach our goal of packing over 1000 shoeboxes this year and share the love of Jesus (and the Gospel in their own language) with children all around the world! Pray about how many boxes your family would be willing to pack, step out in faith, grab a few shoeboxes on Sunday, and help us do just that!
On a personal note, I want to thank everyone for the love shown to my wife Janet while her mom has been in the hospital in North Georgia. She’s not home from the hospital just yet, but she has definitely improved, and we hope she’ll be home soon. Her name is Nancy (just like my mom). Please continue to keep her recovery in your prayers. I love you Coastal! I love being your Pastor! And I love what we get to do together!
LIFE & LOVE!
- UPCOMING OUTREACH PROJECTS:
Clothing Team: Our Coastal Clothing Team will be organizing and sorting clothes today, Friday, October 6th, 9:30am-11:30am. Meet at 2952 Old Pond Road on Johns Island.
Saturday Serve: The foundation of all of our serving opportunities at Coastal really starts with Saturday Serve – the first Saturday of every month. The next Saturday Serve is tomorrow, Saturday, October 7th. We meet in the Welcome Center/Cafe at 8:30am, project leaders make a “pitch” for their serving opportunity, and then we serve!
Clothing Team: Our Coastal Clothing Team will be organizing and sorting clothes, Monday, October 9th, 9:30am-11:30am. Meet at 2952 Old Pond Road on Johns Island.
Soldier’s Angels: We’ll be helping with the Veteran’s Mobile Food Distribution, Tuesday, October 10th, 9:30am-11:30am. Meet at 1113 Sam Rittenburg Blvd. (The Elks Lodge).
Lowcountry Orphan Relief: Lowcountry Orphan Relief provides support services and aid to meet the needs of Lowcountry children identified as at-risk or suffering from abandonment, abuse and/or neglect. Coastal will be serving there, Friday, October 13th, 9:30am-11:30am. Meet at 1850 Truxton Ave in North Charleston.
Ronald McDonald House On the Go Meal Kits: On Friday, October 13th, 6:30-7:30pm, we will be packing “On the Go Meal/Snack Bags” for the residents of the Ronald McDonald House. Meet at Coastal.
Double Tailgate Day: Charleston Vets & Joseph Floyd Manor: Saturday, October 14th, 10am-1pm. Meet at the church and then pick which Tailgate you’d like to serve.
As always, if you are interested in serving in any of these projects, you can sign up on your Connect Card this Sunday or sign up now on our website. If you have any questions, please reach out to Pastor Chris Jones at 843-870-4613.
- If you’re fairly new to Coastal, a great next step is our Newcomers Reception. Our next Newcomers Reception is this Sunday, October 8th, in our Chapel immediately following the 11:30am service (at approximately 12:45pm). This is a great way to learn more about Coastal, meet staff and key volunteers, as well as meet some other new people. Pizza and childcare provided. You can sign up on our website today!
- Mark your calendar for our next Coastal Night of Worship – Wednesday night, November 8th, 6:30-8pm! Invite your friends and family to join us for a night of prayer, worship, and encouragement. RSVP now for childcare (birth-kindergarten) on your Connect Card.
- Attention Coastal! Our church is collecting large bags of individually wrapped candy to help with Oakland Elementary School’s Trunk or Treat. Their Trunk or Treat is Thursday, October 26th, 5pm-7pm, and we are collecting candy beginning this Sunday through, Sunday, October 22nd. You can drop your candy off at the bin on the kiosk in front of the auditorium.
- Interested in officially making the Coastal church family, your church family? Our next Membership Class is Thursday, October 19th, 6-9pm in the Chapel. You can respond to this email, sign up on our website, or sign up on your Connect Card on Sunday. Dinner & childcare provided!
P.S. If you live in Carolina Bay, Shadowmoss, Village Green, or one of several other West Ashley neighborhoods that get a monthly neighborhood magazine, make sure you check out our ad for the many Support Groups we offer at Coastal. One of those Support Groups is “Grief Share.” They will be hosting one of their annual seminars called, “Surviving the Holidays.” It’s a free, one time event on Monday, November 6th at 2pm or 6pm that will help participants prepare for difficult emotions this Holiday Season and discover hope for the future. Contact Sue (616-443-6553) with questions or register today at www.griefshare.org.