“It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas.” December is here and Christmas is just around the corner! Are you ready? Are you excited? Or are you overwhelmed? Stressed? If you’re already overwhelmed and stressed out, chances are you’ve lost your perspective. Take some time to remember what Christmas is all about – God’s rescue plan to offer a Savior, His one and only Son, Jesus, to a lost and sinful world. It’s all about God’s great love! And that’s always worth getting excited about!
Some practical suggestions for the Christmas Holidays: Do your best to intentionally slow down this month. Don’t overschedule and say yes to everything. You might even have to say no to some good things to say yes to the best things. Schedule simple family times – literally put it on everyone’s calendar. Hang out with friends. Watch a Christmas movie (my favorite is Elf). Bake some cookies. Drive around and see the lights. Don’t go into debt. It’s not worth it and it’s not what Christmas is all about. Send a few hand written notes of love/thanks. Take some food to a family (or a Police Station or Fire Station) unexpectedly. Invite people to church. Read the Christmas story (the one from Luke 2). Go to YouVersion.com and start a Christmas Bible Reading/Devotional.
I begin a new Christmas sermon series this Sunday called, “Misfits.” The series is all about how God uses the most unlikely of characters and circumstances to do extraordinary things. You can see that loud and clear in the Christmas story! You can also see that every day in you and me. In many ways, we’re “Misfits” – damaged, broken, discarded human beings, but made beautiful, useful and wanted in God’s Kingdom. Don’t miss this series! And as always, invite and bring a friend!
- Chair Set-Up resumes as usual this Saturday (tomorrow) at 9am. If you would be willing to serve in this ministry periodically or on a regular basis simply respond to this email or contact the “Chair-Man” Neal Van Sycoc at NealVS@aol.com.
- We are having a church wide Wedding Shower for Christopher Rollins (my son and Coastal’s Band Director) & Elizabeth “Lizzy” Willingham THIS Sunday, December 4th, 5pm at the church. Everyone is invited! There will be plenty of food, fun, and CAKE – basically a BIG PARTY!
- We’re in the planning stages of our Spring Semester (February-May) of LIFE Groups. If you are intersted in leading, assisting, or hosting a group, please let us know on your Connect Card on Sunday.
- There is a First Impressions Team Oyster Roast/Planning Meeting on Sunday, January 8th, 2017, 4-6:30pm at Coastal! It’s for all current 1st Impressions Team Members and those interested in serving!
- Interested in offically making Coastal your church home? Our next Membership Class is Monday, January 9th, 6-9pm. Childcare and refreshments provided. Sign up online or on your Connect Card on Sunday.
P.S. Make your plans now to attend one of our 2 Christmas Eve Services, Saturday, December 24th, 5:30pm & 7pm. There will be no services on Sunday morning, December 25th. There will only be one service on Sunday morning, January 1st, 9:30am.