I hope everyone had a safe & wonderful 4th of July! I realize we are facing a lot of problems in our country today and that the divisions seem to be greater and deeper than ever before, but I believe we still have much to be grateful for in our great country. I am so thankful to God for the birth of America and the privilege that was mine to be born in the land of the free and home of the brave. As we celebrate our independence may we as individuals, families and as a church recognize our dependence on God. He alone is our source of blessing, and let us prayerfully humble ourselves in obedience to God and His Holy Word. Ultimately, the hope of the world is not and never has been a President, a Political Party or a Platform – it’s in the person of Jesus Christ. And it’s our mission to share and experience the LIFE and LOVE of Jesus with Charleston and the world! Maybe it’s time we spent less time complaining on social media and more time praying and being the light of the world that Jesus talked about in Matthew 5:14: “You are the light of the world—like a city on a mountain, glowing in the night for all to see.” The truth is, the darker this world gets, the greater our opportunity.
And one of those opportunities that we have at Coastal to be the light of the world and make a real IMPACT is through SATURDAY SERVE! The next Saturday Serve is tomorrow morning at 8:30am. We meet in the Welcome Center of the church and after a few minutes of getting to know one another, leaders of that month’s projects will brief you on the particulars of their projects. Afterwards, you’ll choose the project that’s of interest to you and off you’ll go! All projects are typically finished before lunchtime, so it’s not a sacrifice of your entire Saturday. If you haven’t come to a Saturday Serve yet, do so this month! I promise you, you’ll be glad you came and that you will receive so much more than you give. Come out and help us tangibly share and experience the LIFE and LOVE of Jesus with our community!
We wrap up “At the Movies” this Sunday. I hope you’ve enjoyed the series as much as we have. And most importantly, I hope you continue to look for ways to engage the culture and point people to Jesus, His church, and to the truth of God’s word. This Sunday I’ll be using the new “Spider-Man: Far From Home” movie to talk about our struggle with inadequacy. I realize that there are a lot of people out of town this weekend, but if you’re in Charleston don’t miss it. But as always, even if you’re out of town, you can catch our services live online at 9:30am & 11:15am. And now if you miss those morning services you can watch a rebroadcast of our entire service online on Sunday evenings at 6pm.
IMPORTANT PLEASE READ:
We’re in the process right now of planning out the Fall here at Coastal. I truly believe that this Fall and the remaining school year is going to usher in one of the greatest periods of growth in the history of our church. It’s so real to me it’s as though I can reach out and touch it! On Sunday morning, September 22nd our church is going to kick-off a church-wide Spiritual Growth Campaign called, “Daring Faith.”
It’s church-wide in the sense that we want to involve everyone at our church: everyone hearing the same Sunday morning messages, all of our LIFE Groups studying the same material, a daily devotional for individuals and families, a coloring book for our children, and times of prayer and fasting all leading up to our “Daring Faith” Commitment Sunday, November 10th. Not only are we going to give money and commitments to build Phase 2 on our campus, but more importantly, it’s going to be one of those turning point moments in the life of our church – a time of everyone pulling together and stepping out in faith.
Three weeks prior to the kick-off (September 3-20) we will have a series of 13 different “Daring Faith Meetings” where we will hand out the “Daring Faith” Campaign Packets, explain the entire campaign, show you exactly what we’re going to build, how much it will cost, and answer any questions. We’re asking our entire church to pick a date and attend just one of those meetings. We’ll have a sign up for those meetings soon.
We are also looking for “Daring Faith” LIFE Group Leaders. LIFE Groups (starting the week of September 22nd) will be a little bit different this Fall in that all of our Groups will be studying the same material – a “Daring Faith” DVD with a workbook/daily devotional that we will provide. We’ll also be encouraging smaller groups that meet in homes all over Charleston. This will help create unity and momentum as we all step our in faith together. These “Daring Faith” groups will only last 8 weeks. In other words, you will only be signing up for a group based on time/location, not the study or activity. Our goal is to get as many people who consider Coastal their home into a group! You can do anything for 8 weeks! So if you are interested in facilitating (push play on a DVD and then lead through the questions) or hosting (opening your home) a group this semester, please respond to this email or sign up on Sunday on your Connect Card. If you have ever led a group in the past – we need you leading one this semester!
I love you Coastal! And I love what we get to step out in faith and accomplish together!
LIFE & LOVE!
Here are this week’s “Friday 5”:
- There is one final VBS Crew Leader Meeting (all crew leaders, assistants, and group managers) on Monday July 8, 7:00 – 8:00PM, @ Coastal in the 1st – 5th grade auditorium in the Coastal Kidz building. Hopefully it will make you more prepared for the week and answer any questions you may have. Please let Janet know if you need childcare.
- We now have over 150 children pre-registered for VBS!! Spread the word – Coastal’s VBS this year is Monday, July 15th – Friday, July 19th, 6pm-8pm, 4 year olds – 5th Grade. If you haven’t done so yet, please register your kids today! If you have any questions about VBS please contact Janet Rollins at 843-442-8299 or email@example.com. Don’t forget, we’re taking everyone to see the new “Lion King” movieon Wednesday morning, 10am (doors open at 9:30am), July 24th at the Citadel Mall Theater! Reserve your seats (and those of your friends) on your Connect Card on Sunday morning or simply by responding too this email. Our next sermon series (another Coastal Summer tradition) starts next Sunday, July 14th called “Summer Reading.” Each week of the series we’ll be using the subject matter from 6 great books that we’re encouraging you to read, as the basis for that week’s sermon. At Coastal we believe that “Leaders are READERS!” So get reading! We still have a few copies of the books available for purchase (at a great price) at Coastal on Sunday morning. Here are the books, author, dates, and link to purchase them on your own at Amazon: “A Trip Around the Sun” by Mark Batterson – July 14th, “Glory Days” by Max Lucado – July 21st, “Everybody Always” by Bob Goff – July 28th, “I Declare War” by Levi Lusko – August 4th, “The Daniel Dilemma” by Chris Hodges – August 11th, “Strengthening Your Grip” by Charles Swindoll – August 18th.
- Our Student Ministry (6th-12th Grade) is heading to Carowinds on Friday, July 12th. Please be at the church no later than 8am! They will return to the church at 8pm. The cost for the trip is $30 and includes ticket and transportation. Please bring money for food. Contact Ryan Spell for more information – firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-442-8985.
- New to Coastal? Join us Sunday, July 21st in the Welcome Center, immediately following the 11:15am service for our next Newcomers Reception. This is a great way to learn more about Coastal, meet staff and key volunteers, as well as meet some other new people. Pizza and childcare provided. RSVP online or on your Connect Card. You can also simply respond to this email and let us know that you’re coming.
- In case you missed our Beach Baptism on Sunday, June 9th – don’t fret! We have another one scheduled to close out the Summer on Sunday, August 4th, 4pm out at Folly Beach County Park. Baptism is a public profession of your faith in Jesus Christ. We call it “going public” at Coastal. It’s an important next step after salvation. And there is something very powerful about getting Baptized in the ocean! Bring your whole family out to the Beach after church on that Sunday, and then we’ll gather together for the Baptism Service at 4pm (Look for the Coastal flag)! You can sign up on your Connect Card on Sunday or respond to this email to sign up today!
P.S. Many of you have watched our services LIVE Online! But have you tried giving online? Your consistent (especially over the Summer), faithful, generous giving enables our church to make its IMPACT! It’s easy, safe, and secure! You can give through our website, our App (yes, we have a FREE App), or TEXT any amount to 843-277-8337! Try it today!