I know I say this a lot – but don’t miss this Sunday at Coastal! In fact, if you haven’t made it back to in-person worship, this would be a great week to come back! We’re kicking off a favorite sermon series tradition here at Coastal – “At the Movies!” We originally did this series back in 2008, brought it back in 2011, and have done it every Summer since. Anybody here remember the first movie you ever went to see as a kid? One of the first movies I remember seeing as a kid was Bambi at the old Ultravision Movie Theater where Moe’s is now on Sam Rittenburg. And yes, I cried when Bambi’s mother got shot. I remember the first time I saw The Wizard of Oz and being freaked out by the flying monkeys. I remember seeing the movie Jaws in the Pinehaven Movie Theater in North Charleston and then being afraid to get in the water that whole summer at Folly Beach.
Without a doubt, our world today still has a love affair with the movies. In fact, I will go as far to say that our culture gets a lot of what it believes about God, about spirituality, and about life from the movies they watch and the music they listen to. Now don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying they get it right. But through movies and music they are asking questions and raising issues. The good news is that as followers of Jesus we’ve got answers. So instead of imitating, condemning, or ignoring the culture, why not seek to engage the culture, to redeem the culture. That’s what Jesus did. That’s what we do here at Coastal, and that’s what this series is all about. We’re going to open up God’s word and boldly proclaim the truth. The 6 movies we’re going to use are all just hooks to have some fun and get the conversation started.
And not only will we be serving popcorn and giving away several free movie tickets & other fun prizes to people at the end of each service this Sunday, but every 1st time guest during the entire 6 week series will receive a FREE MOVIE TICKET to the Citadel Mall movie theater (yes, they’re open again)! And if you bring a friend with you – you get a ticket too! On top of all that, we’re having a BEACH BAPTISM this Sunday afternoon at 5pm out at Folly Beach County Park. Come out early and enjoy the day at the beach with your Coastal family! Like I said, “DON’T MISS THIS SUNDAY! & BRING A FRIEND!”
I can’t say enough great things about the start to “Summer of IMPACT”! In just the first two weeks alone, we’ve seen 222 Volunteers, over 15 different projects, volunteering 667 hours!! There are still plenty of opportunities to sign up and serve, but 2 projects in particular could definitely use more Volunteers: Tricounty Family Ministries-Emergency Grocery Distribution & Project Uplift-Ardmore. Go to our website and sign up today! If you have any questions, please reach out to Pastor Chris Jones at 843-870-4613. And if you’ve already signed up, the only thing left to do is to show up!
Making An IMPACT With You!
Here are this week’s “Friday 5”:
- UPCOMING OUTREACH PROJECTS:
Typically, in this section of our Friday 5 we list all the upcoming Outreach Projects. For the month of June – there really is only ONE thing we want you to focus on: SUMMER OF IMPACT! Simply click on this link: https://coastalcommunitychurch.org/outreach/. Take a look at all the opportunities. Find the project(s) right for you and then sign up today! You can sign up for as many opportunities as you want directly from our website. And by the way, you don’t even have to call Coastal your home to participate! Spread the word and invite and bring your friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers to serve! If you are looking to Make an IMPACT in our community, this is the way to do it! Let’s make this the best Summer ever!
If you have any questions about Summer of IMPACT and the different projects, please reach out to Pastor Chris Jones at 843-870-4613.
- As a fun way to celebrate the Summer and our “At the Movies”series, we’ll be taking anyone who is available to see the new “Peter Rabbit 2” movie on Tuesday, June 22nd, 10am (doors open at 9:30am) at the Citadel Mall Theater. And we’re picking up the cost of the ticket! It’s our way to thank you and bless our community (your friends – yes, please invite and bring friends). Simply let us know how many people you’ll be bringing to the movie (respond to this email or let us know on your Connect Card).
- We are planning our Annual BEACH BAPTISM out at Folly Beach County Park THIS Sunday, June 13th, at 5pm. You can sign up for it on our website. The only requirement for Baptism is that you have personally given your life to Jesus. Baptism is a public profession of your faith. At Coastal we call it “going public” and it’s a great celebration! It beautifully illustrates Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. If you’re unable to participate in our Beach Baptism, remember at Coastal we’re ready for you to get Baptized any service, any Sunday. If you are interested in getting Baptized simply respond to this email or sign up on our website.
- Father’s Day, June 20th, is going to be a lot fun at Coastal! First of all, we’re having another Baby/Child Dedication. If you would like your family to participate, sign up on your Connect Card. Include the child’s full name and the service you will be attending. There will also be FREE Kona Ice for everyone, a gift for all the guys (I’m real excited about the gift), and some fun giveaways (yes, probably MEAT) at the end of each service!
- If you haven’t already seen it, make sure you check out our WAVES Student Ministry (6th-12th Grade) Summer Calendar. They have a ton of events, activities, and service projects all through June, July, and August! Go to our website, their Instagram page, or reach out to Ryan Spell for all the details. This Saturday they are going to Paintball of Charleston and will be leaving the church at 11:30am and returning at 5pm. Oh and by the way, all the events are FREE!! Bring your Student and invite a friend!
P.S. On Tuesday, June 15th, Coastal is hosting Oakland Elementary School’s Kindergarten Graduation at 9am and their 5th Grade Graduation at 11am. Oakland’s Graduation is Students only, but we would still like a few volunteers to help with doors and gifts. If you are interested in serving at this Graduation, please respond to this email or sign up on your Connect Card on Sunday. This is a great opportunity to make a huge IMPACT in our community.