Alright everyone – this Sunday, May 9th, is Mother’s Day! We kick off a new series called, “Conversations.” The idea for the series is that there are some important, crucial conversations that every parent needs to be prepared to have with their kids. But don’t worry, this series is for everyone, whether you’re a parent or not, because what we’re going to be talking about in this series are some foundational life truths that all of us need to have a handle on and, yes, have the ability to pass on to the next generation. We’ll cover things like forming healthy friendships, being a disciple in the digital age, holding on to your faith. And this Sunday we begin with one of the most important conversations you need to be prepared to have and have a grip on – don’t let anyone steal your identity. It’s going to be a great series to kick off on Mother’s Day and take us to the Summer. Don’t miss it! And as always, make sure you invite and bring your friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers! It’s going to be a BIG DAY! We have a gift for all the Moms (and women), fun giveaways at the end of each service, a photo booth, Baby/Child Dedication during the service, and FREE Kona Ice! It’s going to be a great day for many of you to return to in-person worship!
I also want to thank those of you who started parking further away on Sunday mornings. That will be especially important this Sunday on Mother’s Day! There is plenty of parking at Oakland Elementary School, down the first drive right past the Greenway. There is also parking available behind the Middle School where our Coastal Kidz container is located. Again, think with our Guests in mind.
And speaking of the Coastal Kidz container – every Saturday morning at 8am we meet there to unload it and set everything up at Orange Grove Middle School. When we’re done we go over to the church and set up the chairs. We could always use your help!
The other thing that May always marks is Teacher Appreciation Week at Oakland Elementary School – Monday, May 17th – Friday, May 21st. We have a special relationship with the school. Each year we go over the top to express our love and appreciation to the Teachers and Staff of Oakland. We have several special things planned – lunch, breakfast, gift cards, small gifts. Just remember that all of our community outreach projects (this one included) are funded by your consistent, generous giving. You can give through our website or simply text ANY amount to 843-277-8337.
LIFE & LOVE!
Here are this week’s “Friday 5”:
- UPCOMING OUTREACH PROJECTS:
PINK House – The PINK House is a community center in the Ardmore subdivision in West Ashley. We are going to be putting on a community Tailgate Party and Clothing Distribution, Saturday, May 8th, 10am-1pm.
Soldier’s Angels – We’ll be helping with the Veteran’s Mobile Food Distribution, Tuesday, May 11th, 8am-1pm.
Tricounty Family Ministries – We will be assisting with their Emergency Grocery Distribution, Wednesday, May 12th, 9am-12noon.
Suburban Hotel Tailgate – Let’s make an impact together by serving local veterans and persons transitioning from a local homeless shelter in Charleston into permanent housing at the Suburban Hotel in North Charleston! Saturday, May 15th, 10am-1pm meet at Coastal in the Welcome Center! This is a project that is suitable for the whole family.
If you are interested in serving in any of these projects, you can sign up on your Connect Card this Sunday or sign up now on our website. If you have any questions, please reach out to Pastor Chris Jones at 843-870-4613.
- Are you grieving the loss of a spouse or do you know someone who is? You are invited to join our FREE “Loss of a Spouse” Seminar through our Grief Share Support Group on Tuesday, June 1st, 6:30-8:30pm at Coastal. Discover practical advice, support, prayer, and encouragement from others who’ve been there. Learn what to expect in your grief and how to cope with life without your spouse. Register at www.griefshare.org or call Freeda (540-903-5030) or Sue (616-443-6553).
- We are planning our Annual BEACH BAPTISM out at Folly Beach County Park on Sunday, June 13th, at 5pm. You can sign up for it on our website. The only requirement for Baptism is that you have personally given your life to Jesus. Baptism is a public profession of your faith. At Coastal we call it “going public” and it’s a great celebration! It beautifully illustrates Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. If you’re unable to participate in our Beach Baptism, remember at Coastal we’re ready for you to get Baptized any service, any Sunday. If you are interested in getting Baptized simply respond to this email or sign up on our website.
- One of the ways our church marks the coming of Summer is through “SUMMER OF IMPACT!” For the entire month of June, our church will saturate Charleston with a variety of outreach projects almost every day! What better way to show that we are followers of Jesus than by serving the people right here in our community! The 2021 Summer of IMPACT Catalog with all the details is now available online. Check out all the different opportunities and sign up today! If you have any questions, please reach out to Pastor Chris Jones at 843-870-4613.
- We’re serving our community by rolling up our sleeves – literally! As part of our June 5th Saturday Serve, Coastal is hosting a Blood Drive from 8:30am-1:30pm at the church. Every donor will receive a $10 gift card. You can use that gift card to meet your own needs or you can donate the gift card back to the church where we’ll use it to help struggling neighbors in our community. Let’s come together as a church and donate life! You can easily sign up for a convenient time slot by clicking here: https://donate.thebloodconnection.org/donor/schedules/drive_schedule/162166.
P.S. If you’re fairly new to Coastal, a great next step is our Newcomers Reception. Our next Newcomers Reception is Sunday, May 16th, in the Welcome Center immediately following the 11:15am service (at approximately 12:30pm). This will also be available online! This is a great way to learn more about Coastal, meet staff and key volunteers, as well as meet some other new people. RSVP online or on your Connect Card.