We wrap up our “Women of the Word” series this Sunday. As always, you’re not going to want to miss it! Morgan Wessel is our speaker and Jennifer Schroder and Dawn Judd share their stories. I can’t say enough good things about all the women from our church who participated in this series. God has spoken through each of them. I’m looking forward to hearing from more women from Coastal in the future.
And then on June 7th, not only will we be opening up our campus for in-person worship, but we’re also kicking off a new sermon series, a favorite Summer tradition here at Coastal – “At the Movies!” The tagline this year is, “coming to a home near you!” “At the Movies” is where we use current or popular movies, as a hook or a spring board to talk about spiritual truth. And this year we’ll be using movies that you can watch from home on Amazon or Netflix. In fact, instead of movie tickets, we’ll be giving away $5 Amazon Gift cards to all 1st time guests and the friend that invited them.
Here are just a few exciting things that we’ve already got planned during this series:
- On Sunday, June 14th we’re going to use the movie, “Just Mercy” to talk about racism. And I’m excited to announce that Chris Singleton will be speaking at Coastal on that day! Chris Singleton is a professional baseball player in the Chicago Cubs organization (who played at Charleston Southern) as well as an inspirational speaker who has been featured on ESPN’s E:60, Sports Illustrated magazine, and USA Today. Chris’ mother, Sharonda Coleman Singleton, was murdered along with eight other victims at Mother Emanuel AME Church here in Charleston on June 17th 2015 by a white male who wanted to start a race war in the United States. Chris inspired his city and the nation by forgiving the man who murdered his mother and stating that “Love is stronger than hate.” (Read my Facebook post.)
- On Sunday, June 14th, 5pm out at Folly Beach County Park we’re having our Beach Baptism! Come out early (traffic might be an issue) and make it a fun day for your entire family! If you are interested in being Baptized, simply respond to this email, go to our website and sign up online, or sign up on your Online Connect Card on Sunday. Even if you’re not being Baptized, come on out to the beach and celebrate with those who are! Make it a fun day for the whole family!
- On Friday night, June 19th at 8:30pm we’re going to show a FREE movie on the lawn on a giant screen! The movie we’re showing is the Disney/Pixar movie “Onward.” Bring your blanket or lawn chairs and enjoy the evening with your family!
As you can see, it’s going to be a great series and a great start to the Summer! So start thinking about and praying for the people you’re going to be inviting to join us for this series!
I love you Coastal, and I can’t wait to see many of you in person on June 7th!
Here are this week’s “Friday 5”:
- It’s hard to believe but this Saturday, May 30th, 11am-1pm, is the LAST WEEK (rain or shine) of our FREE “Grab & Go Meal Drive-Through.” We have now given away over 7,000 meals! This week’s menu: Chicken & Dumplings, Green Beans, Rolls, and Dessert – plus a free roll of toilet paper for every family!! If you’re hungry, in need, or know someone who is, we’d love to help! Feel free to pick up a box and deliver it to someone you know. It’s our way to love and serve our community! Help us spread the word! At this point and at this scale, the BIGGEST WAY TO HELP is donating money. You can sponsor a meal by giving on our website: https://coastalcommunitychurch.org/give/ or simply text ANY amount to 843-277-8337 and use the key word “meals” (ex. $100 meals). The Drive-Thru is also a great opportunity to drop off non-perishable food items for our Community Food Bank. We also need DESSERTS – cookies, pre-packaged snacks, etc. You can drop off desserts at the church on Saturday morning 8am-10am.
- Summer of IMPACT is a month-long effort where we as a church saturate our city with the love of Jesus through simple acts of service. One way we serve is through our partnerships with non-profit organizations all over Charleston. We enjoy serving with the Lowcountry Food Bank, Soldiers Angels, the Ronald McDonald House and Lowcountry Orphan Relief. We also have ongoing projects here at Coastal where we pack shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child, feed the homeless and hurting at the North Charleston Tailgate and multiple other projects. There are opportunities nearly every day of the month. You simply sign-up and then show-up. Every project has a leader and every project is well-organized. Click on this link: www.coastalcommunitychurch.org/outreach. Take a look at all the opportunities. Find the project(s) that is right for you and sign up today. You can sign up for as many opportunities as you want. It’s easy to sign up, and it’s easy to serve. If you are looking to Make an Impact in our community, this is the way to do it! Sign up and then show-up…it’s literally that easy.
- Did you know that Coastal has a FREE App for your phone or mobile device? It’s an easy way to stay connected, see all the announcements, listen to or watch our messages, and fill out a Connect Card. Download it today from your App Store! If you’re searching for it, make sure you search for “Coastal Community Church of Charleston” or “Coastal CC Charleston” (There are other Coastal Community Churches around the country). If it’s been a while since you checked out the App, open it up! We’ve updated it and made some improvements for when we get back into the building and moving forward.
- Attention all First Impressions Team Members: We’re having a very important First Impressions Zoom Meeting that will walk you through the thought process as well as some responsibilities we will have as a team for gathering again beginning June 7th. Please plan to join us on either Sunday, May 31st OR Wednesday, June 3rd at 7:30pm. You do not need to join us for both of them, but please make it a point to attend one of them. The call should not last any longer than 20 minutes or so based on the conversation. LINK: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8896513365?pwd=TWxtRzFXYkxZU0IDWGhUR1pnS2QxUT09 ID: 889 651 3365 Password: chickfila
- Many people have asked what will our Coastal Kidz Children’s Ministry look like on June 7th as we move back into our building? Here are just a few of the procedures you can expect to see:One of the first things we are doing is having both buildings professionally cleaned. They will be performing a CDC certified disinfected cleaning of high touch traffic areas.
– All Coastal Kidz volunteers will wear masks and gloves.
– We will wipe down all chairs, tables, and toys after each service. We will minimize the number of toys in each room to help with this.
– At Child Check-in, volunteers will enter the information on the iPads for stickers.
– We will use non-contact thermometers to take the temperature at child checkin of all children admitted to Coastal Kidz and all Coastal Kidz volunteers.
– All children will either use hand sanitizer or wash their hands before entering the classroom. For smaller children, volunteers will help with this.
– We will space the chairs farther apart in the 1st – 5th grade class and try to keep the younger ones seated farther apart in the other classrooms.
– VIP (Volunteer Meeting) will be outside in the pergola (weather permitting) or in the new building.
For those of you who serve on Sunday mornings in Coastal Kidz please communicate with Janet Rollins on your availability in June and start signing up to serve.
P.S. If you consider Coastal your church home or if you have been blessed by the ministry of our church, we want to encourage you to continue to be faithful with your generosity. If you would like us to mail you offering envelopes or step you through online giving, please respond to this email or call the church office (843-571-1777). Your weekly gifts are a vital resource that allows us to continue the work that God has called us to do. When you continue to give during this crisis, your gifts allow us to maintain critical ministries that many depend on. Thank you so much for your faithfulness!