Summer is almost here and what does that mean? “AT THE MOVIES”! Over the years, “At the Movies” has become a favorite Summer sermon series tradition here at Coastal. It’s where we take current or popular movies and use them as a hook to talk about spiritual truth. I love the movies and so does the world in which we live. In fact, I will go as far to say that our culture gets a lot of what it believes about God, spirituality, and life from the movies they watch and the music they listen to.
Now don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying they get it right. But through movies and music they are asking questions, raising issues, and searching for truth. The good news is we’ve got answers. So instead of imitating, condemning, or ignoring culture, why not seek to engage the culture, to redeem the culture. That’s what Jesus did. John 3:17, “For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.” That’s exactly what the Apostle Paul did in Acts 17 in Athens. He used their culture – an altar to an unknown God – to share the Good News of the Gospel. The Bible says his heart was “deeply troubled” by what he saw, but he used their practices to point them to Jesus. He engaged the culture.
That’s what we do through “At the Movies.” So, for 6 weeks we will take an uncut, uncensored look at real life truth/themes from popular summer movies. Now don’t mistake or confuse what we’re going to do. I’m not going to be preaching from the movies themselves. They are all just hooks to look at deeper issues raised in our culture. Each Sunday, as always, we will open up God’s word, boldly proclaim the truth, and point people to Jesus.
This Summer’s blockbusters all happen to be owned by Disney. So, as you can imagine, we’re going to have some fun with that! As always, there will be fresh popcorn each week. ALL 1st Time Guests will receive FREE Movie Tickets to Citadel Mall Theater (and the person who invited them – YOU) throughout the entire series. On the June 2nd Kick-Off there will be fun giveaways – plus we are giving away a DISNEY VACATION PACKAGE! We will be mailing out a large postcard invitation to all of West Ashley (29407 & 29414), and on Sunday we’ll have a special invite tool for you to give to your friends! Start praying and inviting now! Let’s show Charleston what “the most joyful place on earth” looks like!
LIFE & LOVE!
Here are this week’s “Friday 5”:
- Here at Coastal the Summer also means“SUMMER OF IMPACT!” Summer of IMPACT kicks off on Saturday, June 1st and is our opportunity to make an IMPACT for Jesus by serving our community. There are over a dozen different opportunities/organizations that we will be serving or partnering with multiple times over the month of June. You can sign up for all events one of 3 ways: your Connect Card, our website, or drop by our Summer of IMPACT tent on Sunday mornings. The easiest way is probably our website where you can literally go and see each project listed in chronological order, the day and time, and all the information you need. You can click a button to sign up for multiple events. It’s that simple! Help us share the LIFE and LOVE of Jesus with Charleston and the world this Summer! If you have any questions or if you would be willing to help lead one of these events, please contact Chris Jones at 843-870-4613 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- New to Coastal? Join us THIS Sunday, May 19th in the Welcome Center, immediately following the 11:15am service for our next Newcomers Reception. This is a great way to learn more about Coastal, meet staff and key volunteers, as well as meet some other new people. Pizza and childcare provided. RSVP online or simply respond to this email and let us know that you’re coming.
- Interested in formalizing your commitment to Coastal and officially making our church, your church family? Our next Membership Class is Monday night, June 3rd, 6pm-9pm. Childcare and light refreshments are provided. You can sign up for the class on our website, your Connect Card,or byresponding to this email.
- Our Annual BEACH BAPTISM is going to be Sunday, June 9th, 4pm at Folly Beach County Park! Baptism is a public profession of your faith in Jesus Christ. We call it “going public” at Coastal. It’s the next step after your salvation. The Bible clearly teaches that baptism is the first step of obedience after making a commitment. And there is something very powerful about getting Baptized in the ocean! Bring your whole family out to Beach after church on that Sunday and then we’ll gather together for the Baptism Service at 4pm! You can respond to this email to sign up today!
- Attention all parents and volunteers, as you start to make your Summer plans, mark your calendars and save this date – Coastal’s VBS this year is Monday, July 15th – Friday, July 19th, 6pm-8pm, 4 year olds – 5th Grade. The theme this year is ROAR! Life is Wild – God is Good! Registration is now open on our website. Sign up your kids today!
P.S. If you would like your family to participate in the Baby/Child Dedication on Father’s Day, June 16th, sign up on your Connect Card this Sunday or respond to this email. Please include the child’s full name, parents’ name, and the service you will be attending – 9:30am or 11:15am. Baby/Child Dedications are a special time in the life of the family where you are making a commitment to raise your child in a Christian home. It’s also a time for the church to make a commitment to do all that we can to support and encourage parents in their journey.