Wow – what an AMAZING Mother’s Day at Coastal this past Sunday! We kicked off our new series called “Conversations,” talking about our identity in Christ. We had 9 families participate in our Baby/Child Dedication (Our next one will be Father’s Day – sign up on your Connect Card). And we continue to see families each week that we haven’t seen in-person in over a year. In fact, other than Easter weekend, this was the first Sunday that we were well over 50% of our normal in-person attendance. I hope that trend continues. But most importantly, whether you’re in-person or online, continue to invite your friends to join us!
This Sunday in our “Conversations” series, I’ll be talking about forming healthy friendships. The importance of making Godly friends is a valuable life skill whether you’re 12 or 27 or 53 (like me), whether you’re single, married, kids or no kids. 1 Corinthians 15:33 says, “Don’t be fooled by those who say such things, for “bad company corrupts good character.” “Don’t be fooled.” In other words, “Don’t delude yourself into thinking that you are incapable of being impacted by other people.” I’ve heard it said, and you’ve probably heard it too, “Your character is the sum total of the 5 people you spend the most time with.” In other words, the kind of friends you have determine the kind of person you’re becoming. Think about that. That’s why we have to be intentional about the people in our lives and the people in our kids’ lives. Don’t miss this Sunday and this crucial conversation.
And speaking of conversations, there has been a lot of talk this week about masks/face coverings. First of all, let’s just make sure that whatever conversation you engage in that you always keep Ephesians 4:29 in mind, “Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.” Since the beginning of the pandemic our church has been following our local and state government mask mandate. This week those mandates have been officially lifted in our State, County, and City. As a church, we have been requiring our Staff & Volunteers to wear masks and simply encouraging others to do so. Beginning this Sunday, we will no longer require Staff or Volunteers to wear them. However, we will continue to provide them for those who need one. And we know and understand that many people, including Staff & Volunteers will still choose to wear facemasks, and we fully support their personal decision to do so. As we always do at Coastal, continue to use wisdom and discernment and above all else, show love and grace to all people in whatever personal decision they make. And even on occasion, be willing to set aside your own personal preferences for the love of others.
Oh and on an unrelated note, not only were people freaking out this week over a possible gas shortage, but evidently there is/was a Chick-fil-a Sauce shortage and a chicken wing shortage! I seriously wish we would display the same sense of urgency with “sharing and experiencing the LIFE and LOVE of Jesus with Charleston and the world” that we do with the silly and ultimately unimportant things of this world.
I love you Coastal and I love being your Pastor!
LIFE & LOVE!
Here are this week’s “Friday 5”:
- UPCOMING OUTREACH PROJECTS:
Suburban Hotel Tailgate – Let’s make an impact together by serving local veterans and persons transitioning from a local homeless shelter in Charleston into permanent housing at the Suburban Hotel in North Charleston! THIS Saturday, May 15th, 10am-1pm meet at Coastal in the Welcome Center! This is a project that is suitable for the whole family.
Lowcountry Orphan Relief – Lowcountry Orphan Relief provides support services and aid to meet the needs of Lowcountry children identified as at-risk or suffering from abandonment, abuse and/or neglect. Coastal will be serving there, Friday, May 21st, 9am-11am. We meet at 1850 Truxton Ave in North Charleston.
Tricounty Family Ministries – We will be assisting with their Emergency Grocery Distribution, Wednesday, May 26th, 9am-12noon.
If you are interested in serving in any of these projects, you can sign up on your Connect Card this Sunday or sign up now on our website. If you have any questions, please reach out to Pastor Chris Jones at 843-870-4613.
- Are you grieving the loss of a spouse or do you know someone who is? You are invited to join our FREE “Loss of a Spouse” Seminar through our Grief Share Support Group on Tuesday, June 1st, 6:30-8:30pm at Coastal. Discover practical advice, support, prayer, and encouragement from others who’ve been there. Learn what to expect in your grief and how to cope with life without your spouse. Register at www.griefshare.org or call Freeda (540-903-5030) or Sue (616-443-6553).
- We are planning our Annual BEACH BAPTISM out at Folly Beach County Park on Sunday, June 13th, at 5pm. You can sign up for it on our website. The only requirement for Baptism is that you have personally given your life to Jesus. Baptism is a public profession of your faith. At Coastal we call it “going public” and it’s a great celebration! It beautifully illustrates Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. If you’re unable to participate in our Beach Baptism, remember at Coastal we’re ready for you to get Baptized any service, any Sunday. If you are interested in getting Baptized simply respond to this email or sign up on our website.
- One of the ways our church marks the coming of Summer is through “SUMMER OF IMPACT!” For the entire month of June, our church will saturate Charleston with a variety of outreach projects almost every day! What better way to show that we are followers of Jesus than by serving the people right here in our community! The 2021 Summer of IMPACT Catalog with all the details is now available online. Check out all the different opportunities and sign up today! If you have any questions, please reach out to Pastor Chris Jones at 843-870-4613.
- We’re serving our community by rolling up our sleeves – literally! As part of our June 5th Saturday Serve, Coastal is hosting a Blood Drive from 8:30am-1:30pm at the church. Every donor will receive a $10 gift card. You can use that gift card to meet your own needs or you can donate the gift card back to the church where we’ll use it to help struggling neighbors in our community. Let’s come together as a church and donate life! You can easily sign up for a convenient time slot by clicking here: https://donate.thebloodconnection.org/donor/schedules/drive_schedule/162166.
P.S. If you’re fairly new to Coastal, a great next step is our Newcomers Reception. Our next Newcomers Reception is THIS Sunday, May 16th, in the Welcome Center immediately following the 11:15am service (at approximately 12:30pm). This will also be available online! This is a great way to learn more about Coastal, meet staff and key volunteers, as well as meet some other new people. RSVP online or on your Connect Card.