Finally – Easter Weekend is here! I’m not exactly sure where the phrase, “Not today Satan, not today!” originated (I think it became popular on a few Reality TV Shows), but our Staff definitely uses it around the office. For us, it’s just a reminder that Spiritual Warfare is real and that Satan wants to do anything he can to distract and divert us from our mission, especially weeks like this week.
Why this week? Because our entire church is reading through the Bible together, our 40 Day Easter Fast ends today, we’ve literally been reaching out to hundreds and thousands of people, inviting them to church, and of course, it’s the week of Easter! It’s obvious that God is up to something at Coastal, and He’s using us to reach out to the lost. When churches and Christians get serious about reaching the lost, loving and serving the community, inviting their friends and neighbors, that’s when Satan attacks. In fact, the truth is, we expect it around the office, and it’s almost comical when it happens. For example, this week alone someone got ahold of some checks from our church through one of our vendors and committed bank fraud, wasting hours upon hours of our time with Wells Fargo. The transmission went out in my car. A tire blew out on my bike. The truth is, in the grand scheme of things, these are only minor distractions.
Minor, because today is Good Friday. 2000 years ago Satan thought he had won. Jesus, the one and only Son of God, had been crucified. But when the ground in Jerusalem shook from a violent earthquake, and the sky went black, and the temple curtain that separated the people from the presence of God ripped in two, it was as though God Himself shouted from the Heavens, “Not today Satan, not today!” And 3 days later Jesus rose from the dead just like He said He would and defeated sin, Satan, and death! And now, in Christ, we have victory! That’s what we’ll be celebrating this weekend! I can’t wait to see you and your friends & family! Our service times are: Friday (tonight), 7pm; Saturday, 4:30pm, 6pm; Sunday, 8:30am, 10am, 11:30am. (FREE KONA ICE at the Saturday and Sunday services!)
It’s still not too late to make that call, send that email or text, walk across the street or the office, and invite someone to church for this weekend! You never know the power of a simple invitation. Yesterday I took a plate of Janet’s homemade cookies and a postcard invitation to some of my neighbors. You never know the power of a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie either!
A few other quick reminders about Easter at Coastal: Parking & Seatingreally is important on Big Services like Easter (especially on Sunday). Please, please park as far away as possible and sit to the front and center of each section. And this is important – COME EARLY! With more guests on our campus, make sure you’re even more gracious, kind, loving, and helpful to everyone! Treat everyone as your welcomed, expected guest in your home.
I also want to challenge you to give above and beyond this Easter Weekend. You can give through our website, our App, or TEXT any amount to 843-277-8337. It’s simple, safe, secure, and convenient! It is your consistent, generous giving that enables our church to do everything it does here and in our community.
Oh, and one more thing – HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Today is our church’s 32nd Anniversary! Our first Sunday as a church was Easter Sunday, April 15th, 1990. 32 years of loving, serving, and giving to our community. 32 years of seeing lives changed by the power of the Gospel! I love you Coastal and I love being your Pastor! Hold on to your fork, because the best is yet to come!
LIFE & LOVE!
- UPCOMING OUTREACH PROJECTS:
Patriot Villas Veterans Tailgate – We will be putting on a Tailgate for the Veterans at Patriot Villas on Thursday, April 21st, 6-8:15pm. Meet at Coastal.
Clothing Team – Our Coastal Clothing Team will be organizing and sorting clothes Friday, May 6th, 9am-11am. Meet at 2952 Old Pond Road on Johns Island.
Saturday Serve – The foundation of all of our serving opportunities at Coastal really starts with Saturday Serve – the first Saturday of every month. The next Saturday Serve is Saturday, May 7th. We meet in the Welcome Center/Cafe at 8:30am, project leaders make a “pitch” for their serving opportunity, and then we serve! Two different Tailgate Parties go out from Saturday Serve!
Soldier’s Angels – We’ll be helping with the Veteran’s Mobile Food Distribution, Tuesday, May 10th, 8am-1pm. Meet at 1113 Sam Rittenburg Blvd. (The Elks Lodge).
Lowcountry Orphan Relief – Lowcountry Orphan Relief provides support services and aid to meet the needs of Lowcountry children identified as at-risk or suffering from abandonment, abuse and/or neglect. Coastal will be serving there, Friday, May 13th, 9:30am-11:30am. Meet at 1850 Truxton Ave in North Charleston.
As always, if you are interested in serving in any of these projects, you can sign up on your Connect Card this Sunday or sign up now on our website. If you have any questions, please reach out to Pastor Chris Jones at 843-870-4613.
- If you would like your family to participate in the Baby/Child Dedication on Mother’s Day (May 8th), sign up on your Connect Card. Include the child’s full name and the service you will be attending. Coastal’s Baby Dedication is a special time for our parents and children. The purpose of our Baby Dedication is not for the child’s salvation. It is more of a prayer/renewal time for the parents as they commit to raise their child the way God wants them to and a time of prayer for the child to grow to be the man or woman God has called them to be. It is also a time for our church family to commit to you, the parents, to be the support that you need. Most people think of a Baby Dedication as just for our newborns, but we’ve had all different ages participate. If you’ve never had that special prayer time for you and your child, we’d love for you to sign up and participate.
- We are planning our Annual BEACH BAPTISM out at Folly Beach County Park on Sunday, June 12th, at 5pm. You can sign up for it on our website. The only requirement for Baptism is that you have personally given your life to Jesus. Baptism is a public profession of your faith. At Coastal we call it “going public,” and it’s a great celebration! It beautifully illustrates Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. If you’re unable to participate in our Beach Baptism, remember at Coastal we’re ready for you to get Baptized any service, any Sunday. If you are interested in getting Baptized simply respond to this email, sign up on your Connect Card, or sign up on our website.
- New to Coastal? Join us in the Coastal Cafe or online Sunday, May 1st immediately following the 11:15am service for our next Newcomer’s Reception. Learn more about Coastal, meet staff and key volunteers, and get plugged in. Lunch & childcare provided. RSVP online or on your Connect Card on Sunday!
- Are you grieving the loss of a spouse or do you know someone who is? You are invited to join our FREE “Loss of a Spouse” Seminar through our Grief Share Support Group on Monday, May 9th, 6:30-8:30pm at Coastal. Discover practical advice, support, prayer, and encouragement from others who’ve been there. Learn what to expect in your grief and how to cope with life without your spouse. Register at www.griefshare.org or call Freeda (540-903-5030) or Sue (616-443-6553).
P.S. Homeschool educators and their kids of all ages are invited to a HOMESCHOOL HANGOUT on Wednesday, April 27th, 10am-12noon, to meet and network with other Homeschool families at Coastal. We’ll have pizza for lunch and the Coastal Kidz playgrounds will be open for playtime. RSVP on your Connect Card or respond to this email so we’ll know how much pizza to order!