A little exciting update on our building: they have started digging the footings for the new building! What are “footings” you ask? Well, footings are an important part of the foundation of a new building (see picture above). They are typically made of concrete with rebar reinforcement that has been poured into an excavated trench. In fact, the concrete should be poured into the trench above by the time you read this email. This particular footing is for the addition of the Coastal Kidz building across the back of our existing building. The purpose of footings is to support the foundation.
All of this talk of footings reminds me of Psalm 40:1-2, “I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.” (NIV) The New English Translation of verse 2 says, “He placed my feet on a rock
and gave me secure footing.” There is no doubt that the world in which we live is a slimy pit of mud and mire, and so many people today seem to be sinking deeper and faster. They’ve lost their footing. But the good news is that God has pulled us out of that mud and mire, cleaned us up, and set us on solid ground – the rock solid ground of Jesus Christ and His Word. We have risen above the filth of this world, not by any goodness or righteousness of our own, but by the grace of God. In fact, He heard our humble, repentant cries and lifted us out. He saved us – He rescued us.
Open your ears and hearts this week to the cries of the world around you. And before you sling the very mud that you yourself have been pulled up out of, try pointing people to the One and Only Savior who can rescue and save. This is why I have found so much comfort and hope in the book of 1 Peter that we have been reading and preaching through. I hope you have too. This Sunday I’ll be talking about how to find healing from the hidden wounds and scars that we all experience in this world. Ultimately, true healing comes the sacrificial love of Christ. That’s what Peter was saying in 1 Peter 2:24, “He personally carried our sins in his body on the cross so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. By his wounds you are healed.” Did you hear that? Jesus’ wounds heal your wounds. I hope you’ll join us on Sunday – either in person on online.
As we quickly approach the end of our Fall Semester of LIFE Groups, we are beginning to prepare for the next semester in the new year. If you are possibly interested in leading a LIFE Group in 2021, please let us know. You don’t have to have it all figured out yet – study, day, time, location, style (in-person/online) – we’re just curious if you’re interested. If you are, please reach out to Pastor Scott Huff or simply respond to this email.
LIFE & LOVE!
Here are this week’s “Friday 5”:
- Upcoming Outreach Projects:
Coastal is constantly and continually engaged in being the hands and feet of Jesus in our community. Here are this week’s opportunities!
Saturday Serve – The foundation of all of our serving opportunities at Coastal really starts with Saturday Serve – the first Saturday of every month. The next Saturday Serve is THIS Saturday (tomorrow), November 7th. We meet in the Welcome Center/Cafe at 8:30am, project leaders make a “pitch” for their serving opportunity, and then we serve! Make plans NOW to be there!
Blood Drive – We’re serving our community by rolling up our sleeves! As part of our November 7th Saturday Serve, Coastal is hosting a blood drive from 8:30am-1:30pm at the church. You can easily sign up for a convenient time slot by clicking here: https://donate.thebloodconnection.org/donor/schedules/drive_schedule/152069. Every donor will receive a $20 gift card. You can use that gift card to meet your own needs or you can donate the gift card back to the church where we’ll use it to help struggling neighbors in our community. Let’s come together as a church and donate life!
If you are interested in serving in any of these projects, you can sign up on your Connect Card this Sunday. If you have any questions, please reach out to Pastor Chris Jones at 843-870-4613.
- Many of you might not be aware of this, but our church has a Grief Share Group that meets on Monday nights, 6:30pm at the church. Grief Share is a support group for people who are grieving the loss of a loved one and need support, encouragement, and hope. On Monday night, November 16th, 6:30pm-8:30pm our group is hosting a “Surviving the Holidays” seminar. This event will help you discover how to deal with emotions, give helpful tips on how to survive holiday social events, and discover hope for the future. Contact Sue Muoio at email@example.com to RSVP or for more information or register at www.griefshare.org. Spread the word – the Group and this event are open to the public!
- This is the last week to take home (or pickup) and fill Shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child! They have to be brought back to the church between now and Sunday, November 15th. This is a GREAT opportunity for you to teach your children about generosity, the true meaning of Christmas, and the love of Jesus. You can go to OCC’s website for a great list of suggested gifts/items for the shoeboxes. We believe that we still have an opportunity to pack hundreds and hundreds of shoeboxes and share the love of Jesus with children all around the world! Pray about how many boxes your family would be willing to pack, step out in faith, grab a few shoeboxes on Sunday, and help us do just that!
- If you’re fairly new to Coastal, a great next step is our Newcomers Reception. Our next Newcomers Reception is THIS Sunday, November 8th, in the Welcome Center immediately following the 11:15am service (at approximately 12:30pm). This will also be available online! This is a great way to learn more about Coastal, meet staff and key volunteers, as well as meet some other new people. RSVP online or on your Connect Card.
- Interested in officially making Coastal your church family by becoming a Member? Our next Membership Class is NEXT Saturday morning, November 14th, 9am-11:30am. You can respond to this email or sign up on our website. You can join us either in-person or online through Zoom.
P.S. Young Adult Gathering – TONIGHT, Friday, November 6th, 6:30pm-9:30pm at Coastal! Join other young adults for a gathering at the church for volleyball, other games, food, and fellowship! Please invite any other young adults to join you who might enjoy connecting with other young adults in Charleston. For more information, please reach out to Pastor Scott Huff.