Janet and I got a chance to take a quick trip up to Knoxville to see our daughter Lydia and her husband Andrew this past week. We left on Sunday after church and came home Tuesday. Janet and Lydia are big “Downton Abbey” show fans and they were able to have a little Mother/Daughter moment and see the movie together (Andrew & I saw something else – haha). Honestly, the movie was just an excuse for us to see our daughter. Texting, FaceTime, and phone calls are all fine – but sometimes a parent just needs to hug their child’s neck and see them face to face. I bet that’s how God feels. Sometimes I wonder if fasting is just an “excuse” for God to see His children and spend time with them. Funny how we think it’s all about the “movie.” During this season of fasting and faith and growth don’t forget that ultimately our loving, heavenly Father simply longs to see His children and hug their neck.
This coming Sunday I’ll be talking about “Daring to Give God Our Very Best.” Part of growing in our faith and experiencing miracles in our lives is striving to “live a life worthy of our calling.” (Ephesians 4:1) It’s not about striving to earn our salvation or approval before God, but striving BECAUSE we ARE saved and approved by God. You see, our salvation and approval is not because of anything we have done, it’s because of our faith in what Christ has already done. And that’s why I want to give God my best, because of who He is and what He has done. Ask yourself this, are you giving God your very best? If not, why not?
If you haven’t already done so, watch the video above of what we’re getting ready to build in 2020 – the 30 year anniversary of our church! Continue to read through our Daring Faith magazine and pray about what you and your family are going to give on Commitment Sunday, November 10th and what you’re going to commit to give over the next 3 years above and beyond your regular giving. We are going to build that building. The question is, how is God going to build you through the process?
I hope you’re enjoying your LIFE Group and the Daily Devotional as much as I am! Right now we have 460 adults in LIFE Groups and 299 people Fasting & Praying (can we find 1 more)! Is that amazing or what?! I’m loving all the emails and conversations about how God is teaching and moving in your lives! Feel free to keep sharing!
Daring to Believe With You!
Here are this week’s “Friday 5”:
- GUESS WHAT?! TOMORROW is our next Saturday Serve! If you haven’t come to a Saturday Serve yet, make plans to be there tomorrow! I promise you, you’ll be glad you came and that you will receive so much more than you give. Saturday Serve is open to EVERYONE in our community. You do not need to be a Member of our church to participate (you don’t even have to be an attender). In fact, it’s a great opportunity to bring a friend! We meet in the Coastal Café at 8:30am. After a few minutes of getting to know one another, leaders of multiple projects will brief you on the particulars of the projects they are leading. Afterwards, you’ll choose the project that’s of interest to you and off you’ll go! All projects are typically finished before lunchtime, so it’s not a sacrifice of your entire Saturday. Come out and help us tangibly share and experience the LIFE and LOVE of Jesus with our community!
- We are collecting bags of candy for Oakland Elementary School’s Annual “Trunk or Treat” on Thursday night, October 24th, 5-6:30pm. You can bring the candy to church any time between now and Sunday, October 20th.
- Did you know that there are 359 children in foster care in Charleston County, and only 134 foster homes to care for them? Coastal has the opportunity to come alongside existing foster families to support children in foster care in our community through prayer support, bringing meals, and child mentoring/babysitting. We are currently seeking additional Advocates to join the leadership team at Coastal for this ministry. We ask that you prayerfully consider this opportunity and contact Tami Gilbert at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- New to Coastal? Join us Sunday, November 3rd, in the Welcome Center immediately following the 11:15am service for our next Newcomers Reception. This is a great way to learn more about Coastal, meet staff and key volunteers, as well as meet some other new people. Pizza and childcare provided. RSVP online or on your Connect Card. You can also simply respond to this email and let us know that you’re coming.
- Since 1993, Samaritan’s Purse has partnered with local churches around the world to deliver over 157 million Operation Christmas Child shoebox gifts to children in need in 160 countries. Each one—packed full of fun toys, school supplies, and hygiene items—is sent with prayer that the child who receives it will experience God’s love through their simple gifts. Between now and November 10th we’re asking everyone to bring any toys that will fit in a shoe box (no perishables, liquids, used items, candy, or toys associated with war or fighting). We will be Sorting & Setting Up everything on Friday, November 15th, 4-8pm. Our Wrapping & Packing Party will be Saturday morning, November16th, 10am at the church. Here are some suggested things to bring: Hot Wheels cars, children’s jewelry, small balls, stuffed animals, books, noise makers, yo-yo’s, travel size games, cards, small craft kits, stickers, flashlights with batteries, brushes, combs, toothbrushes, hairbands, small notebooks, pencils, pens, erasers, solar powered calculators, markers, crayons, colored pencils, pencil sharpeners, rulers, socks.
P.S. To celebrate all that God has done through our church through our Daring Faith Campaign we’re going to have a Tailgate Party & Outdoor Baptism! On Sunday, November 17th out on our front lawn after both services we’ll have Tailgaters, jump castles, and outdoor activities for the kids. We’ll provide the food, we just need people who would like to represent their team and sign up to tailgate! You can sign up on your Connect Card or respond to this email. Also, please let us know if you would like to get Baptized on this day!