First of all, let me just say that I am deeply troubled by what we’re all seeing unfold in our nation. Honestly, I’m still processing it all, but my heart is broken. I ask you to join me in praying for our nation. But while I am troubled, I am not surprised, and more importantly, I am not without hope. Why? Because Romans 5:20 says, “But as people sinned more and more, God’s wonderful grace became more abundant.” You see, I still believe that the light shines brightest in the darkness. And if we are going to heal, if we are going to overcome the divisive spirit in our land, I believe that we as followers of Jesus have to lead the way. I’ve said it for years, and I believe it now more than ever, Jesus truly is the ONLY hope of this world – not a President, not a political party, not any policies. This world is not our home and ultimately our only allegiance is to Jesus and His Kingdom. Our collective mission is still the same – to share and experience the LIFE and LOVE of Jesus with Charleston and the world! That’s all that matters, and that is what’s needed now more than ever before.
This Sunday, January 10th, we’re kicking off a new sermon series called, “This Is My Year.” Each week we’re going to look at a different area of your life where if you will make a commitment to follow through, it will make a huge impact. And this first area I want us to talk about is the most important one. It’s the most important one because it affects every other area of your life – your health, your relationships, your finances, your family, everything. We’re going to talk about your personal relationship with God, your spiritual life. This is the foundation. If this is out of whack, if this is out of alignment, nothing else in your life will line up or be all that it could be. Everything else flows through this. So, “2021, this is my year to take my next step spiritually.” We talk a lot about next steps here at Coastal. Why? Because everyone has one. No one has fully arrived. No one is a finished product. We all have next steps to take. So come this Sunday as we talk about what that looks like in your spiritual life. And don’t forget that this Sunday we’re back to our 2 regular in-person services at 9:30am & 11:15am. And as always, all of our services are available online. If you are online don’t forget to jump on about 10 minutes earlier for our little “pre-show.”
LIFE & LOVE!
Here are this week’s “Friday 5”:
- Upcoming Outreach Projects:
Coastal is constantly and continually engaged in being the hands and feet of Jesus in our community. Here are a few upcoming opportunities!
Soldier’s Angels – We’ll be helping with the Veteran’s Mobile Food Distribution, Tuesday, January 12th, 8am-1pm.
Suburban Hotel Tailgate – Let’s make an impact together by serving local veterans and persons transitioning from a local homeless shelter in Charleston into permanent housing at the Suburban Hotel in North Charleston! Saturday, January 16th, 10am-1pm meet at Coastal in the Welcome Center! This is a project that is suitable for the whole family.
If you are interested in serving in any of these projects, you can sign up on your Connect Card this Sunday. If you have any questions, please reach out to Pastor Chris Jones at 843-870-4613.
- This is it! This is the LAST WEEK to give toward our Annual Christmas Offering! Our goal is $75,000 (we will announce what we gave on the 17th)! We are encouraging our entire Coastal family to give above and beyond their regular tithes and offering to this Offering. To give, all you have to do is designate your gift “Christmas” on your check, offering envelope, card swiping “description”, online through Paypal, or TEXTing (843-277-8337). You can give your gift through TEXTing, our website, or our App.
So what are we going to do with that $75,000? Mainly 3 things: 1. We’re going to fully fund our 2 current monthly Tailgate Parties where we feed hundreds of people each month. 2. We’re going to buy a “Box Truck”! We’re super pumped about all the outreach possibilities of this truck – equipment and supply transportation for the tailgate parties, advertising for the church, disaster relief, community events, and more. 3. We’re going to purchase indoor and outdoor playground equipment for our new Children’s facility. So, start praying about what you and your family can give toward this offering. Remember, this offering should be over and above what you regularly give. If you’re not regularly giving (weekly, monthly), use this time of year and this offering to start. If you’re not tithing (10% of your gross income), step out in faith and start tithing. Reaching this goal will be a celebration of what God can do through our church as together we stretch our faith. Again, simply use the the keyword “Christmas” whenever and however you give toward the Christmas Offering.
- ATTENTION ALL LIFE GROUP LEADERS: LIFE Group Leader Training will be Tuesday, January 19th, 6:30-8pm OR Saturday, January 23rd, 10-11:30am. (You just need to attend one.) Both sessions will be offered online or in-person. Please RSVP on your Connect Card. If you have any questions, please reach out to Pastor Scott Huff – 859-230-5129.
- If you’re fairly new to Coastal, a great next step is our Newcomers Reception. Our next Newcomers Reception is Sunday, January 10th, in the Welcome Center immediately following the 11:15am service (at approximately 12:30pm). This will also be available online! This is a great way to learn more about Coastal, meet staff and key volunteers, as well as meet some other new people. RSVP online or on your Connect Card.
- Interested in officially making Coastal your church family by becoming a Member? Our next Membership Class is Monday night, January 25th, 6pm-8:30pm. You can respond to this email, sign up on our website, or sign up on your Connect Card on Sunday. You can join us either in-person or online through Zoom.
P.S. Start the New Year off right! Don’t forget that simply because you are a part of the Coastal family, ALL of Dave Ramsey’s best selling resources and tools are available to you for FREE! This includes 5 classes (Financial Peace, Legacy Journey, Smart Money Smart Kids, the Jump Start Course and a new Budgeting course), the Everydollar+ budgeting tool, and a host of other resources designed to help families track their progress through the baby steps. You have access to everything for an entire year at your own pace, on your own schedule. Here’s the link: https://www.financialpeace.com/hosts/coastalcommunity?pc=94671724. Sign up today! We want to be known as a generous church, and we also want to do everything we can to equip our church and community to experience true financial peace in these difficult times!