Our Youth Pastor Ryan really did a great job this past Sunday (even without a live donkey) – and so did Noah, Kristal, and all of our Student Volunteers! Our Student Ministry had their last WAVES 6.2.SIX of the semester this past Wednesday night, but make sure you check out all their events & activities on their Summer Schedule!
On Sunday, June 11th, we kick off a Summer Sermon Series tradition here at Coastal called, “At the Movies!” It’s where we use popular or current movies as a hook to talk about Biblical truth! This year’s series is going to be called, “Chick Flicks & Date Nights” as we talk about relationships. Each week we’ll be looking at what the Bible has to say about love, sex, dating, marriage, and relationships. As always, we’ll be pointing people to Jesus!
But why movies? Well, I think you’d agree that our world still has a love affair with movies. In fact, I’d go as far to say that people get a lot of what they believe about life, spirituality, and even God (their world view) from the movies they watch and the music they listen to. Now, obviously I don’t think the world gets it right. But instead of going to the extremes of condemning the culture or immitating the culture, why not do what Paul did in Acts 17 and use the idols of the day to point people to Jesus and Biblical truth. That’s what this series is all about. And in true Coastal style, we’ll have a lot of fun doing it! In fact, on top of popcorn and give-aways, each week of the series all 1st time guests will receive a FREE MOVIE TICKET to Citadel Mall Theater. In fact, if you bring a guest with you to church, come over the blue Guest Tent and not only will your guest get a ticket, but you will too!
You might be wondering what I’m going to be preaching the next two weeks before we kick off, “At the Movies!” Well, before Easter Sunday and “The Real ‘F’ Word” series, we were in a series called, “Joy” from the book of Philippians. However, when we stopped the series on Easter Sunday, we never made it to the last chapter of Philippians, chapter 4. So for the next two weeks I’ll be preaching two more messages in the “Joy” series from Philippians chapter 4. In preparation for the next two weeks, I’d love for you to be reading Philippians 4 during your quiet time. I realize a lot people will be out of town this Sunday for Memorial Weekend, but if you’re in town, don’t miss this Sunday! My message will be about finding satisfaction in LIFE! But if you’re are out of town, don’t forget that you can watch both services live from our website!
- Sign up for one of our Summer Semester LIFE Groups! The Summer Semester begins the week of June 4th and lasts for 4-6 weeks, right before VBS. You can sign up online today, on your Connect Card or at the LIFE Group table on Sunday.
- New to Coastal? Like to meet our Staff, Ministry Leaders and other new people? Like to learn more about Pastor Chris and the history of our church? Make plans to attend our next Necomer’s Reception, Sunday, June 4th, immediately after our 11:15am service (it’s only about 30 minutes). Childcare and pizza are provided. You can sign up for our Newcomer’s Reception on our website, on your Connect Card on Sunday, or simply by responding to this email now.
- Not only are we kicking off “At the Movies!” on Sunday morning, June 11th, but we’re having a “Barbeque & Baptism” at Folly Beach County Park! Over 20 people are getting baptized right now!! The Baptism will be at 4pm with a Barbeque immediately following. We’ve reserved the Pelican Watch Pavillion all day. We’ll provide the pulled pork BBQ, paper products, and drinks and we’re asking everyone to pitch in and bring sides/dishes/desserts to share! You can sign up for this Baptism on our website, on your Connect Card, or by responding to this email.
- On Father’s Day, June 18th, we’re having a WING FEST Competition! Sign up on your Connect Card to participate and bring a minimum of 100-150 of your best wings! The wings will be judged and there will be PRIZES!
- After our “At the Movies!” series, we’ll be in another Coastal Summer Sermon Series tradition called, “Summer Reading.” Each week I’ll be using a the subject matter from one of 6 different books as the subject matter for that Sunday’s message. All 6 of the books are books that I recommend and are definitely worth reading. We’ll publish a list of the books soon and even have a table at the church on a Sunday with a small supply of all 6 books that you can purchase at a discounted price. Remember, “Leaders are Readers!”
P.S. ONLINE REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN for this Summer’s VBS! This year’s theme is “Maker Fun Factory: Created by God – Built for a Purpose.” The Dates for VBS are July 17-21, 6-8pm for children 4 years old – 5th Grade. Register today and help us spread the word! There will be a volunteer insert in this Sunday’s bulletin. VBS is “all hands on deck” at Coastal! We need everyone to volunteer in some way to help make VBS a success.