I love our volunteers here at Coastal – I do! I love that people value serving here and that anyone can get involved. I truly believe we have some of the best volunteers any church could imagine. I believe that we have done a great job of both elevating the value of volunteering here at Coastal and valuing our volunteers.
Now over the years at Coastal, I’ve preached a lot of messages about serving. We’ve had countless Ministry Fairs where we transformed our building into a Ministry Expo, where we highlight each and every ministry of our church with a booth and challenge you to find a place to serve and volunteer. I’ve preached entire sermon series on serving, spiritual gifts, and plugging into ministry.
Now while I believe that we as a church have to constantly improve our systems in helping people take next steps in their spiritual journey, I don’t think the reason more people don’t serve in ministry or volunteer is because they didn’t go to a ministry fair. I don’t think the reason more people don’t serve in ministry or volunteer is because they haven’t taken a spiritual gift assessment or personality test.
I think the reason we have a high number of committed volunteers here at Coastal is two-fold. People will serve when they fall more deeply in love with Jesus. Service is an outflow of a love relationship with Jesus. We serve because of our devotion to Jesus. Sometimes, the danger of a sermon on serving and volunteering is that you can either feel guilty for not doing more or you can run like crazy into multiple ministries. The key is to grow in your love for Jesus and when you do, you’ll understand who He has made you to be and then you’ll WANT to serve Him by serving others. We don’t want to guilt you into serving or giving. Instead we want to GRACE you into it, because of all that He has done for you. You are loved more than you can imagine; you are treasured more than you know, because you matter to God. Let His love for you become the motivation for your serving and giving.
Here’s the other reason I believe we produce a lot of committed volunteers here. We consistently teach that the Christian life is fundamentally a life of servanthood. That’s our primary position – servant. Jesus is our Master and we are His servants. Whatever He says goes. In our world where we are the center of the universe and everything revolves around me and my needs, we have to continually remind ourselves that we serve God by serving others, by putting others ahead of ourselves. And even in the modern church where we have created a culture of finding a church that offers the best and the most and “I didn’t get anything out of that service” and “I’m burned out” and “I’m too busy” and “I’ve served my time,” somewhere in all of that we have forgotten that we are here to glorify God, reach out to people who are far from Him, and to be a servant to all. It’s not about me and you. It’s about Him. Matthew 20:26-28, “Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave – just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
We talk about life all the time here. We exist to share and experience what? The LIFE and LOVE of Jesus. Jesus came that we might have LIFE and have it more abundantly. Well, Jesus said something very interesting about LIFE in Luke 9:23-25, “Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross daily, and follow me. If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for me, you will find true life. And how do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose or forfeit your own soul in the process?” Jesus is saying that we find our lives not by focusing on ourselves, but by giving away our lives for the sake of Jesus.
The month of August, as we move into the Fall and make plans to move into our new facility, we’ll be focusing on finding a place to serve in the family here at Coastal. It’s real simple. If you call Coastal your home, ask yourself this question – what is my ministry and where am I serving on Sunday mornings? My wife Janet has a goal to see 40 new volunteers this year in Coastal Kidz. Maybe that’s your ministry. If so, either respond to this email or reach out to Janet directly and let her know that you’re in – firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-442-8299. But maybe it’s 1st Impressions, or our Cafe, or the Security Team, or the Tech Booth, or countless other opportunities. This Sunday, stop by the LIFE Team Tables, check out all the different opportunities to serve, and sign up!
In His Service & Yours!
- Help provide school supplies for the families in the Ardmore/Sherwood Forrest neighborhoods! Collect supplies from the list in your bulletin (or on our Social Media posts) and then drop them off at the Coastal Outreach Box Truck before any service THIS SUNDAY, August 1st or next Sunday, August 8th. Supplies will then be distributed at the PINK House Tailgate on Saturday, August 14th!
- UPCOMING OUTREACH PROJECTS:
Tricounty Family Ministries – We will be assisting with their Emergency Grocery Distribution, Wednesday, August 4th, 9am-1pm. Meet at: 2105 Cosgrove Ave. North Charleston.
Saturday Serve – The foundation of all of our serving opportunities at Coastal really starts with Saturday Serve – the first Saturday of every month. The next Saturday Serve is Saturday, August 7th. We meet in the Welcome Center/Cafe at 8:30am, project leaders make a “pitch” for their serving opportunity, and then we serve! Make plans NOW to be there!
Soldier’s Angels – We’ll be helping with the Veteran’s Mobile Food Distribution, Tuesday, August 10th, 8am-1pm.
PINK House – The PINK House is a community center in the Ardmore subdivision in West Ashley. We are going to be putting on a community Tailgate Party, Clothing Distribution, & BACK TO SCHOOL BASH, Saturday, August 14th, 10am-1pm.
If you are interested in serving in any of these projects, you can sign up on your Connect Card this Sunday or sign up now on our website. If you have any questions, please reach out to Pastor Chris Jones at 843-870-4613.
- Interested in officially making the Coastal church family, your church family? Our next Membership Class is Monday night, August 9th, 6-8:30pm. You can respond to this email, sign up on our website, or sign up on your Connect Card on Sunday. You can join us either in-person or online through Zoom.
- Our Annual BEACH BAPTISM out at Folly Beach County Park is Sunday, August 8th, at 5pm. You can sign up for it on our website. The only requirement for Baptism is that you have personally given your life to Jesus. Baptism is a public profession of your faith. At Coastal we call it “going public,” and it’s a great celebration! It beautifully illustrates Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. If you’re unable to participate in our Beach Baptism, remember at Coastal we’re ready for you to get Baptized any service, any Sunday. If you are interested in getting Baptized, simply respond to this email or sign up on our website.
- If you haven’t already seen it, make sure you check out our WAVES Student Ministry (6th-12th Grade) Summer Calendar. They have a ton of events, activities, and service projects all summer! There is a River Dogs Game TONIGHT, July 30th (be at the church at 6pm to catch the bus to the game)! On Wednesday, August 4th, 6pm at the church there is a Guys/Girls Night! Friday, August 6th, Frankie’s Fun Park (leave from the church at 6pm)! Go to our website, their Instagram page, or reach out to Ryan Spell for all the details. Oh and by the way, all the events are FREE!! Bring your Student and invite a friend!
P.S. Right now, we are in the process of planning out our Fall Semester of LIFE Groups! If you are interested in possibly leading, assisting, or hosting a LIFE Group (in person or online), please sign up on your Connect Card on Sunday or respond to this email. If you have any questions you can also reach out to Pastor Scott Huff at email@example.com.