Okay, two weeks in a row – I’m back on a roll (not really, but it’s a start). Here a few random thoughts from today and this weekend:
- I absolutely loved having my daughter Lydia home for a week! I’m so proud of her! Had lots of fun family time this week. Lydia even got up EARLY on Tuesday and went to Oakland Elementary School with me. Can’t wait to see her again in 2 weeks for Christmas Break!
- We were missing a ton of people today and we didn’t have the 6pm service, but today just had a great vibe. Fun hearing about everyone’s Thanksgiving weekend.
- Carolina won. Clemson lost. The better team won – plain and simple. The older I get, the less I let silly things like football games effect me. But I have to admit, win or lose, I love the back and forth with everyone. And I’m pretty sure that we have some Carolina fans who love ragging out their Pastor. One young man couldn’t wait to come to church to show me his Carolina shirt! I actually hope Carolina beats Auburn and represents our state well – I used to not be that way.
- I talked very openly and honestly today about prejudice – especially racism. It’s been something that I’ve been planning on talking about for a while. Today was confirmation that that prompting was from God. Got lots of positive feedback, probably ruffled a few feathers, and definitely started a few conversations. Lots of hugs and words of appreciation from several black people and interracial couples.
- Great to have Bill Brown back today! He’s the co-leader of our 1st Impressions Team, but he’s been in Antarctica for work. Love his passion for Coastal!
- I want to give a shout out to Bubba & Jennifer Parsons! They were both working in Nursery today, but on the way to church one of their children threw up. Enough said – that right there would shut down most people. Another family member took care of their child, they made it to church, worked Nursery, and then they stayed for the transition to the second service to make sure everything was taken care of. Way to go guys! (Although I’m pretty sure Bubba wasn’t going to miss the chance to rag me out about Clemson!)
- I LOVE watching my son play the guitar on Sunday morning! I know I’m biased, but I really think he’s doing a great job.
- Janet left immediately after the 1st service to take Lydia back to college. She’s on her way home now, but she said that the traffic has been AWFUL! Probably the worst traveling day of the year.
- Great having Kimmie back from Africa, back at Coastal, and back on the keys! We’re going to be hearing more about her ministry in Africa this year and we’re going to get involved!
- Christopher and I got to hang out after church today. We have so much fun together! Went to YoBe Frozen Yogurt. It was VERY yummy! Then went out to Whole Foods in Mt. Pleasant. A couple from our church work there and told me I need to check them out for my hot sauce fix. I was not disappointed. And being that one of them works in the produce section, we got to sample a lot of fruit!
- Stopped at Zaxby’s the night before Thanksgiving to pick up some take out for the family. They had just put some fries on, so our order was going to take just a few more minutes. The manager apologized and gave us free drinks while we waited. Honestly, he didn’t have to do that, but that small act of customer service (that cost him very little) guaranteed that we will return. How we treat people while they wait matters.
- We put up our tree on Saturday night – one of our favorite moments of the year – lots of laughs, lots of memories, and lots of stories!
- We’re receiving a special Christmas Offering this year, from now until the first Sunday of January. Our goal is $10,000 above and beyond our regular giving. The money is going to our Egg Drop, Children’s Ministry (VBS), and Student Ministry – three of our greatest areas of impact. Basically it is all going toward our community, children, and students. I’ll be letting you know where we stand soon. Anything we get above and beyond that goal will go toward building improvements (namely a women’s bathroom expansion).
- We gave away a bunch of turkeys this week thanks to Dan Long! Thanks Dan!
- If you’d like to help some hurting families have a nice Christmas this year, let me know. I have a few names.
- I WILL get back on track with healthy eating and exercise this week! It’s a lifestyle, right? One weekend can sink a diet, but not a lifestyle. That’s what I keep telling myself.
Well, that’s about it. Honestly, I missed preaching tonight and seeing some people who can only come at night, but I definitely enjoyed relaxing. Right now I’m watching a little football, enjoying our beautiful tree, Christopher is sleeping on the sofa next to me, and I’m patiently waiting on Janet to make it home. 1Thess. 5:18, “give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” I have so much to be thankful for! Later.
0 Comments »
No comments yet.