Here goes – my weekly ramblings about today and other random stuff from this week:
- I can’t wait to pick up my daughter on Tuesday! Yeah! Phone calls are great. Skype is pretty cool. But nothing compares to a hug!
- I already miss College Football! They wait way too long to play the bowl games! I think Auburn is going to spank Oregon. I’m tempted to drive up to Charlotte and try to see Clemson play.
- Speaking of Clemson, Caroline & Willie West gave me two tickets to see Clemson play C of C in basketball on Dec. 22nd. Sadly, Clemson might lose that game.
- Today was part two in our “Home for Christmas” series. I talked about what you’ll find when you come home. Many people expect to find judgement, condemnation, and punishment. Instead you find forgiveness, peace, and eternal life!
- It was rainy & cold today (for Charleston)! You hate to think that that affects attendance – but it does. We’re so spoiled. We still had over 300 people today.
- I haven’t gone through today’s Connect Cards yet, so not much to report there. I know we did have some 1st & 2nd time guests today. Who are you going to invite to Christmas Eve?
- Bri Roberts (Wes’s wife) has started a blog! If you follow her on Facebook, then you already know just how funny she is! Show her some blog love: http://fourifbysea.blogspot.com/
- For those of you who freak out about the “X” in Xmas read this article: http://www.ligonier.org/blog/x-christmas/ I must confess that when writing messages I actually write X for Christ and Xians! This article explains why I do that. Xians get their panties in a wad about the silliest things!
- We served homemade chili after the 3rd service tonight! People LOVE food! The chili was VERY good!
- I haven’t heard the updated Christmas Offering from today, but when I do, I’ll pass it along. I think people are just as excited about us possibly going over our goal so we can get moving on expanding our women’s bathroom.
- We stayed at church this afternoon between the 2nd and 3rd services. The new sofas in the Welcome Center are good for napping!
- Christopher and I saw the movie “127 Hours” on Saturday. It’s the movie based on the true story of that guy who got “stuck” while rock climbing and ended up cutting off his own arm to escape! If you have a weak stomach, do not see the movie. Moral of the story – always let someone know where you are going!
- We saw 26 different 3 year olds – kindergarteners today! WOW!
- All the Promiseland Volunteers were present and on time today! Way to go guys! Those little things are important.
- Edwin the drummer was AWESOME!
- My wife has been in the baking mood! I have a hard time not sampling her efforts! Most of it is for gifts for volunteers. As of right now she’s made 3 different kinds of fudge! I must get back on my healthy eating track and hit the gym this week! Lifestyle – right?
- We did our best to help the two homeless guys that were sleeping in a tent in the woods behind our property this week. It’s a blog post all on it’s own (kind of a crazy story), but suffice it to say that some people just don’t want help.
- Have you ever invited someone who didn’t have family or a place to go, home for Christmas with you? That’s what this Sunday’s message is all about. God wants to use all of us to invite people to come home. And yes, I’ve purposely planned this message before our Christmas Eve Service. Start praying and inviting people NOW. Remember, from today’s video, “What’s the worst that can happen?”
Have a great week! I’ll try to take some time this week and blog about the homeless guys. Good night.